Liberty Slide, Owls Head, Bondcliff Bushwack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a three day two nighter in a 4 weeks and I have seen this trip discussed before. Does anyone have a recommended approach to this. The ideal situation would be to start and end at hancock campground, however, we may have another car so a different starting point may be an option. I am looking for suggestions on where to camp on day one. I am also looking for the easiest approach up Bondcliff (or West Bond). And lastly, I am looking for rough estimate of how long it should take to do the slide portion of the trip and the bushwack. Assume prepared and seasoned hikers.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

I think following Hellgate Brook to the col is the easiest way up to West Bond of the half dozen routes I've used

If you read Papa Bear's report, you'll know to whack off the new not the old summit of Owls Head

And lastly, I am looking for rough estimate of how long it should take to do the slide portion of the trip and the bushwack.

If you mean Lincoln slide (vs. Liberty?), only takes about an hour to get down and whack across the valley bottom to the Lincoln Brook Trail. Not sure how long it takes to get up a slide on the west side of SW Twin, Guyot, or W Bond, but I plan to find out in the fall.

Here's the trip report Roy was referring to:

Lincoln Slide -> Owls Head -> Franconia Brook

Unfortunately the map links are to the old Topozone site - sorry.

I went down the Lincoln Slide, up the Owl's Head Slide (normal route to Owl's Head) and then down the east side of Owl's head. As Roy pointed out, if I had started down from the new summit (unknown to me at the time) I would have had an easier time of it.