Lincoln and Lafayette via Fall.H2Os, Franc.Rdge, Greenleaf Trs. and Bridle Pth 2/1/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 2/1/14

Trails: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail and Old Bridle Path

Conditions: Firm snow at the foot of Falling Waters trail with quite a lot of exposed ice by the falls, with some tricky spots to get up. Above the falls there was firm snow again up to the ridge. The ridge itself had a mix of some wind-driven snow and bare rock, with no ice that I saw. Plenty of snow again on the descent down Greenleaf and Bridle Path with some rocks still sticking through, so be careful if you are sliding that you don’t hit a bump in the trail.

Special Equipment: Wore microspikes up the Falling Waters Trail. The ice by the falls was navigable by ‘spikes going up but I don’t think I would have wanted to descend in anything less than crampons. Barebooted across the Franconia Ridge Trail. There was a biting wind across the ridge, though, so facemask and goggles were required to keep from a chilly face. Put ‘spikes back on for the descent down the Greenleaf Trail and Old Bridle Path. Carried snowshoes, like a properly prepared hiker, but wasn’t tempted to use them at all.

Comments: It was a warm and clear day on Saturday, so it was a lovely day to hike. Happily surprised to bareboot across the ridge. Good times! However Saturday night a snow storm blew through so be prepared for a bit more snow the next time you head up.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

44/48 W-NH 48