Looking for advise on stoves - moved to proper Forum

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climber456

Reaction score
Looking for advise on stoves

Hllo, I'm new to this board, I used to post in AMC, but find this forum too be a great resorse. Here is my first question. I used MSR and Seva stoves for years with the exceptiomn of one incident with my Dragonfly , I recieved a new and Improved Dragonfly from MSR free of cost they even paid shippinmg both ways .
I have not had any problems My Girlfreind wants a Primus multifuel srtove I have been hiking with folks who used this stove and except on one ocassion asked to use my Dragonfly as they had problems has any one else had any experince with Primus stoves and what would you guys recomend as a second stove to my dragonfly it is similar to the XKG and she would want something lighter than a Dragonfly I think she is dreaming any suggestions?
BTW it has to be a winter stove

I have 2 Primus stoves. One is a canister stove, very simple to use, but no good for winter.

The second stove is the Primus Himalaya. The Himalaya is a superb stove that works in all weather conditions. It really packs a punch. I have found it to be very reliable as well. I have the "vari-fuel" version of this stove. It weighs in at 14 oz, which is a bit less than the dragonfly. The base is very stable. Highly recommended.

-percious

P.S. Welcome to the board.

Last edited:
I have a Primus Multifuel. I really like it. It has the same problems as any white gas stove.....it's loud and can't hold a simmer worth a damn! I like the Multifuel for the simle reason that if I happen to find myself at the airport without any fuel and no place to eat I can tap the fuel line of a plane and cook up some ramen noodles! It will burn anything but alcohol. I have had great luck with white gas. It helps to use the "poker" tool they supply you with before you cook just to knock the fuel residue from the fuel jet. It clogs frequently, but is easy to get it open again! The first thing I did when I got mine is break it down. I took it apart and reassembled the entire unit in less than 30 minutes.....on my first try. Priming took a bit of getting used to, partially due to the clogging jet (that took me a trip or two to figure out). With a clean jet priming is much simpler. It is a hevy stove (15 oz.) in comparison to my MSR pocket rocket. But much more efficient by far!

I guess my only question would be why does your girlfriend want the Primus stove? Has the MSR seen beter days? The Primus might be more compact, but maybe not?!? How do the Dragonfly's legs fold? The Primus is NOT a light stove, but it is VERY heavy duty.