Looking for moose....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
..in Chester, NH... wrong place? Well perhaps. I definitely wasn't in the heaviest moose traveled section in NH, but I have seen tracks, dung, and even snapped a picture of the big guy back in June of 2010.

897648723_oYa8y-L.jpg

I wasn't really looking for moose at first. I just wanted to get out on a rare 50 degree day on the winter solstice. But I got more than I bargained for.

The walk started by seeing some sort of rabbit just as I made it into the woods. I did not realize we have rabbits down in SE NH, as this is my first sighting of them. I'm not sure what kind it was, but it had a white puffy tail. That got my trip off to a good start. Then, I saw this sign in the woods....

Thanks for the warning!
Picture-069-L.jpg

A neat old tree
Picture-018-L.jpg

These woods have changed a lot over the years...I've been exploring them since I was 9 yrs old, and some sections are barely recognizable. There have been lots (and I mean LOTS) of logging. Trails have widened, and there are some areas that have been completely logged. Here is a still in tact section.

Picture-026-L.jpg

Before long, I came across my next moose area.....some dung.
Picture-029-L.jpg

I was on high alert. Literally 2 minutes later, I heard a loud thumping right in front, and I saw a moose's rumpus running away as fast as possible. Now that good the old blood flowing!!!

I'm not surprised that moose are hanging out there. There are lots of nice open logging roads to make life easier. Plus, there are many areas of water.

Picture-032-L.jpg

Picture-048-L.jpg

Some open fields too....
Picture-068-L.jpg

and vibrant fungus hanging tough on the 1st day of winter
Picture-025-M.jpg

3pm light. It really gets dark early now....
Picture-082-L.jpg

I got home and was "welcomed" by the new kitten my parents found underneath the steps about a month ago. It was only 10 days old when they discovered it. I have figured out it hates me.

Picture-011-M.jpg

And this is why I am a dog person. :)

Happy Holidays to all!!

Nice! Moose sightings are exhilerating, aren't they?! Hopefully the cat will come to understand his good fortune and appreciate you :)