Looking for quiet campground/quick hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderBum

Reaction score
Hey all... My wife and I will be driving from Bangor to Montreal and were looking to spend one night in a campground somewhere in Maine, NH or the Magog region of Québec. We were hoping to find a nice tenting campground with a decent hike nearby (2-3 hours). Our route can vary depending on what we want to hit... Flagstaff Lake region in Maine, Rangley Lakes region, The Whites, whatever... does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks and see you on the High Ground!

Crocker Pond Campground in ME section of WMNF, hike to Round Pond or up Albany Mtn and hunt blueberries

Cathedral Pines campground on Flagstaff Lake. Short drive to the Bigelows, Crockers, Sugarloaf, Cranberry Peak, etc. They're not tents-only, but have plenty of good tenting sites and the pines are absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
From Bangor, I'd just drive one hour east on Rt 9 to the Beddington area. There are tons of free (I think they're free - please correct me if anyone knows otherwise) campsites located along the Machias River and on the ponds there in the backwoods. I just got back from there last night and was surprised at the amount of clean, and vacant campsites in prime locations.

From Bangor, I'd just drive one hour east on Rt 9 to the Beddington area. There are tons of free (I think they're free - please correct me if anyone knows otherwise) campsites located along the Machias River and on the ponds there in the backwoods. I just got back from there last night and was surprised at the amount of clean, and vacant campsites in prime locations.

Ahhh... thanks for the info, but we are headed west. Looking for a spot roughly 1/2 way between Bangor and Mount Royal (Montréal). Good to know though, because my wife and I might camp out that way some time.

Thanks to you all for replying... I think we will head to Flagstaff and hike the Bigelows...