Lookout Point/Barrack Mtn (CT) -- Unlisted trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taconic

Reaction score
I've climbed most of the mountains in the area on the AT, but today I took a side trip to the east side of the Housatonic where the AT once ran before its relocation. Barrack Mtn has interested me for years do to the rock outcropping on its west side (Lookout Point) that's highly visible from the Lime Rock/Falls Village area, but I'd never gotten around to climbing it... until today.

I was rather surprised to find a red blazed trail intersecting with the Mohawk just below the Lookout Point summit. They ran together until the summit and then split again with the Mohawk diverging left and the red trail diverging right.

No map I have lists this red blazed trail (not even the CT Walk Book.) No old AT journal I've read mentions a spur trail on this mountain, so it seems reasonable to assume that it's fairly new. I didn't have time to explore it because I was on a schedule today, but my guess is that it runs to the true summit of Barrack.

I know we have some locals from that area on here... Anyone know what this trail is, where it starts, and where it goes? I fully intend to check it out myself at some point and will report on it here if nobody knows, but it may be a month or two before I can get around to it.

Thanks.