Lyon Mtn access and trail conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryT

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pursuing my Fire Tower challenge and would like to do Lyon Mtn in a week. Does anyone know if the dirt road access is drivable and is the trail regularly hiked during the winter.
Thanks

Access

Last winter I parked on the road. Don't try going up the snowmobile track, your car might sink. If you happen to be packing a snowmobile than go for it. Anyway, walk the woods road past the new trail and go up the old. The new trail is not marked well. If you like to bushwhack than the choice is yours. Great view from the top, try for a sunny day.

The trail seems to be hiked in the winter with some regularity. The dirt road is not plowed, but does not add to much difficulty to the hike. I first climbed Lyon in the winter myself. :)

Lyon Mtn

Hi,
Thanks so much! for all the great suggestions. I'm looking for a warmup hike before tackling a high peak the next day. When I thought the hike was 5 miles, it might have worked, but I've got 4 hikers in tow and my thought of the extra road walk and the possible new trail additions. It looks closer to 7-9 miles and if we break trail on next Thursday, we may not be up to doing our high peak the following day. At least I'm prepared in case I decide to do it on Sat or Sunday.

Wished the sites would give a little more detail of the road conditions. I wasn't even sure that main road was cleared. In the southern teir I'm always coming up on Seasonal use road and can't go there.
Thanks again
Larry

Hi,
Thanks so much! for all the great suggestions. I'm looking for a warmup hike before tackling a high peak the next day. When I thought the hike was 5 miles, it might have worked, but I've got 4 hikers in tow and my thought of the extra road walk and the possible new trail additions. It looks closer to 7-9 miles and if we break trail on next Thursday, we may not be up to doing our high peak the following day. At least I'm prepared in case I decide to do it on Sat or Sunday.

Wished the sites would give a little more detail of the road conditions. I wasn't even sure that main road was cleared. In the southern teir I'm always coming up on Seasonal use road and can't go there.
Thanks again
Larry

As I recall the main road is definitely plowed. Again, as I said, the extra distance added by walking up the dirt road doesn't add too much to the overall difficulty of the hike. When I first did it, it was before the ADK professional trail crew rerouted the trail and installed switchbacks, and even then, I don't recall it being an overly difficult hike.

Have fun!