Madison - 9/11/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hiked Mt. Madison for my final 4,000 footer! It was a beautiful day for it and the 10-year anniversary of 9/11 only added to the occasion.

ROUTE:
Airline > Cutoff to Hut > Hut > Summit > Hut > quick visit to Star Lake > Valley Way > cutoff trail to Brookside Trail > Brookside Trail > Fallsway > Parking lot. Some other short pieces of trails in that mix, but you get the idea.

Enjoyed this route tremendously. The waterfalls on the Brookside Trail and Fallsway are great (first time visiting Duck Fall and Salmacis Fall for me!). This is a great way to descend off Madison and I highly recommend it over Valley Way. Absolutely nobody on Brookside or Fallsway on the way down (it seems everyone takes Valley Way down???). So many more waterfalls up on Adams, Madison and Jefferson left for me to visit...

TRAIL CONDITIONS:
All trails in great shape, although Valley Way could probably use a few more waterbars up high. Some mud on Valley Way up high too, but nothing too concerning. Airline Trail in mint condition. Only one blowdown and it was minor (I think it was on the Brookside Trail but I'm not sure).

I actually found Madison to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. The trail is rough but not too rough (Washington has a comparable distance and elevation gain, but that one is much harder in my opinion).

A moose was hanging out around the hut when we arrived. Apparently he's been hanging out there for a few weeks. I heard reports he was aggressive last weekend, so be careful!

Celebrated with a growler and a cajun burger from the Moat afterwards! :D

Last edited: