Mahoosuc Car Spot Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm taking some folks up to the Mahoosuc Trail over Columbus Day weekend (and, yes, I know it'll be cold and there could even be snow). I'm wondering what the fastest route for the car spot is. Initially I'd thought we'd just drive Rt. 2 to Bethel and then take Rt. 27 up to Grafton Notch but I'm wondering if Success Pond Rd. would be faster. I'm also considering staying in Bethel Fri. night (rather than Gorham, near the trailhead, as we were originally planning) and looking into hiring a local shuttle to take us all from Grafton Notch to the start. (We're hiking south to north.)

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Keith

A couple of comments. You are on the tail end of leaf season that weekend so finding accomodations in the area still may be a problem, expect that you may pay peak season rates. I suspect that it may be less costly to stay in Gorham than in Bethel. A low cost option in Bethel would be the "snowboard hostel" in west Bethel on Rt 2. Unfortunately there arent a lot of good shuttle options as its a long drive. Bethel Express may be the best. In the Gorham area Arthur Jolin is about the only option.

The Mahoosucs are still quite popular in October especially for weekend trips so dont plan on shelters if the weather is good. Gentien Pond gets a lot of use due to the short hike in and great views.

If you are hiking the entire Mahoosuc trail from Gorham, be aware that the first mile of the trail is in flux, if you search the archives, I have posted the best way around the closure at the dam. More than a few folks have spent some time wandering trying to find the trail.

Success Pond road is not a good alternative to Rt 2 and Rt 26 (not 27 as in your post) unless you plan to beat the tar out of your vehicle.