Marcy & 2 new 46Rs - 8/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

five_head

Reaction score
My son and I finished our journey and challenge of the Adirondack 46 high peaks yesterday afternoon on Marcy. We hugged each other at the summit and reflected on past hikes and our time together. We have real admiration and respect for all those who have accomplished the same status since we know how difficult it can be at times. Thanks to all those on this site and others that have offered advice and encouragement.

We started our day at the South Meadows trail head about 6:15 am. The hike in to Marcy Dam was nice and dry and very quick. From the Dam on the trails were muddy and wet as you would expect given all the rain we've had this summer. We saw a few campers at the Dam preparing for their day, but virtually no other hikers until we heard footsteps behind us just above Indian Falls. I turned and saw that it was Pin Pin. We had met him last year at Times Square in the Santas. We chatted briefly and then he was off. He was out of sight very quickly.
We pressed on to the summit and arrived a little after 9:30. There was only a couple other people there and we enlisted one of them to take some pictures of us together. As I mentioned earlier, we enjoyed the summit for a while reliving past experiences together. Some dark clouds began rolling in and thunder was in the distance so we reluctantly began descending.

On the way down we saw something we've never seen in the ADKs. It began to rain and we passed a young couple that was heading towards the summit. The 'man' was carrying an open umbrella to protect him from the rain! Meanwhile his wife/girlfriend was toughing it out without any protection.

We passed many hikers heading up, some who were ill-prepared for any bad weather or a mishap in the mountains. It is amazing how some of these people don't run into trouble.

To finish, the rain didn't last long and we were back at South Meadows by 2:30 pm.

:) :) Congratulation to you and your son. :) :)
We saw the gray clouds on Marcy yesterday around that time. We have could see you yesterday, we were in the area, and we were back to the Loj around 2.00pm.

Nice...

Way to go. I have fond memories finishing with my son two years ago on Saddleback. We are now in our quest of the NH48. Maybe you two can start your own new list!?