Marcy/Haystack 11-2-2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srombach

Reaction score
Hiked in from the Garden to Bushnell Lean #1 on Thursday in the dark under a light mist/turning to light snow. Early on the trail was in good condition with some mud in the lower spots. Closer to John Brook Lodge, the mud became thicker. From the lodge to Bushnell, more mud and slippery rocks. Bushnell #1 in good shape. No bears, just a a few mice in the woods around the lean to. Friday, took the Hopkins Trail to the Van Hoevenberg Trail. The Hopkins Trail was in good shape with light snow on the trees. Still some mud but getting better the higher we climbed, but still a lot of running water down the trail. The higher we got to the intersection with MVT junction, the more snow. At the junction, I would estimate about 4"-6" on the ground, making most of the rocks slippery. We continued on to the junction with the Phelps trail. At that time, we put on microspikes, which helped significantly. The climb to Marcy summit was snow covered and icy. Mild wind on top and in the clouds with no views what so ever. Temps were near freezing. Returned to the Phelps trail to the Range trail to Haystack. The initial climb up from Phelps was very icy requiring caution. The climb up an over little Haystack was full on winter with a lot of ice/snow/and some wind. I would have felt more comfortable with my axe and crampons, but carefully managed with the spikes. Again no views. Returned to the Range trail to Shorey short cut, back to Slant Rock and Bushnell. Shoreys was snow covered and slippery from the wet//icy snow, and a couple of big blow downs. Descending on the slippery rocks was tricky. Cant wait for more snow. Diminishing snow once we dropped to Slant Rock. Still alot on the trees requiring hoods though. Once back to Bushnell, there was about 1" on the ground and trees, making everything beautiful. Hiked out on Saturday. Overall, a good hike.