Marcy-Haystack. Infinite beauty.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Photos

Gearing up for a 12-day winter 46 involves lots of training hikes. On Thursday, Joe cedar, Boghollow and I tackled Hay and Marcy from the Loj. Turned out to b a great idea! It was clear, cold and dry and the winds were moderate. Microspikes sufficed all day so our crampons provided resistance training. It was a truly beautiful day. Perfect in every way.

I had just been there a few days earlier, adding on Skylight and Tabletop for a whopper of a day so it was interesting to observe the changes in the conditions. Lots of soft ice down low and lots of fluffy snow up high. Anyone just doing Haysack is better off going from the Loj IMO than from the Garden. Much better route. Plus, there's time for Marcy, which is right there next to the Phelps junction, which is at 4700 feet.

The pics say more than a TR ever could.

Thanks Joe and Tom!

Sometimes, we are lucky enough to get an exceptional day. This was one. With temperature around 0 F all day up high, we did have to keep moving.

I climbed Whiteface/Esther the following day and what did I get, only clouds . . .