Maximum Maine - 9 peaks in 6 days

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob H

Reaction score
SAT, AUG 28, 2004

After much planning we left in two cars at 5 am for Maine via, Vt & NH. On the way through Franconia Notch we acknowledged the faceless Old Man who fell into history last year. Our immediate destination was Old Speck, the southern most of the ME 4000’ers.
We arrived at the AT trail head at 11:30am. We stretched, ate lunch and packed up for the 3.8 mile, 2700’ assent up this south bound AT section. It was warm, about 83°, and quite humid. The first section of the trail presented a choice to go up the steeper and better viewing Eyebrow trail or the slightly longer Old Speck trail. We chose less steep and were off. The first 800’ we very steep and our heart rates were instantly elevated. After about 1300’ of climbing, we rested at an overlook and enjoyed the views down toward the trail head.

At this point, Justin & Doug took off for the top and Peter and I kept our steady pace in pursuit. Our radios were used to relay intersection details and then announced that J & D had attained the summit. Peter and I arrived at 3:00pm.

The top is dominated by a large tower made of metal and pressure treated wood. With it, you had spectacular 360° views of NH & ME. The breeze and the views kept us on the tower for about 20 minutes. After we detowered we enjoyed feeding the bold Canadian Jays that were competing for our handouts. The hike down was steady and we were back at the cars by 5:30.

SUN, AUG 29, 2004

We awoke in our Sugarloaf condo to rain on the roof. The forecast was for showers ll day. We decided to wait a couple of hours and then try to walk up a ski trail to Sugarloaf’s top. At 10:00am we started up a trail. It was wet and soft as we cut across the trails to one that went straight up. The views back down the mountain were fleeting at best. The cloud ceiling was pretty low but so far no rain.

We arrived at the uppermost chairlift and were looking up at what are called “The Snowfields” – very steep trails that do not get groomed. We started up over soft mossy ground. (So many blueberries!) Parts were rocky and slippery. We were in the clouds now and it was hard to see the others in front or behind. At 12:30 we were all resting and having lunch. The top has several antennas, weather equipment and buildings – not your pristine mountain top. We could see about ten feet in all directions – socked in.

We discussed what to do next as it was only 12:30. I was in favor of hiking over to Spaulding, a 2.5 mile trip along the AT. After weighing the pros and cons, we set out for Spaulding. As long as the weather held, we would be OK. It held.

The trip over to Spaulding went great! The weather cleared enough for us to get some views and it didn’t rain. We decided to ask Justin and Doug to go back over Sugarloaf, climb down and get the car, and meet Peter and me at the Caribou Valley Road intersection of the AT. That way, Peter and I would not have to hike back over Sugarloaf, saving us 700’ of climbing. They agreed. Peter and I finished the trip up Spaulding at 3:00pm. Maine 3ers!! The top was viewless due to the cloud level but the sun poked through for a few minutes. We rested and took some pictures and set off for Caribou Valley, some 4.3 miles back the way we had come, along the AT.

The trail down was very nice, although muddy in spots, and the views were fantastic. It had cleared enough to get a bird’s eye view of Redington Mt. across the valley. After a steady descent, we arrived at the South Branch of the Carrabasset River at 4:55pm. I could see the car through the trees. Caribou Valley, (or Pond) Road is about an 8 mile dirt logging road with several scary bridges over streams and brooks. We loaded up, turned around and headed for home. Successful day two of hiking completed!

MON, AUG 30, 2004

Justin & Peter headed home. Doug and I were left to conquer more of the ME 4000’ers. Today we rest.

TUES, AUG 31, 2004

Doug & I arose to doubtful weather. It was raining and the forecast was for clearing later. We decided to go for West Peak and Avery. The AT goes over the whole Bigelow range but we were going to take the Fire Warden’s Trail up the middle of the two peaks, touch up on both and come back down.

We set out at 9:00am and started the 3.8 miles up the trail to the col. There was an interesting high water crossing of the flow out of Stratton Brook Pond. The trail wound a bit and then went straight up. We leap frogged up the trail with a couple from Vermont and were at the col in 1.5 hrs. It was still windy and cloudy. Doug and I struck out for West peak. The top was windy and cold, nasty wind whipping the mist at you. We touched up and started right back down.
Back at the col, we ate lunch. We started up Avery. The front was going through and although the top was just as windy and nasty, we did catch glimpses of views – Falstaff Lake and across the valley to Sugarloaf and the Crockers. The hike out was steep and as we descended the skies cleared! By the time we got down it was a gorgeous day. Doug & I now had 5 Maine peaks.

WED, SEPT 1, 2004

We decided to do Redington. The web chat said hikers had done the logging road trail in under 4 hours so we figured an early start would get us enough time to check out by noon. We drove down Caribou Valley (Pond) Road 1 mi. past the AT and decided to trust the web chat and venture no further. We started up the road at 7:30am. The road continued ¾ of the way up the mountain. There were several stream crossing that would have been tough to negotiate with anything larger than an ATV. In fact, there were ATV tracks up to about 3600’.

The entire hike is through a logged bowl with 360° views. We wound our way up the mountain through a beautiful Christmas tree corridor of new growth balsam. It was perhaps the most enjoyable hike of the trip in terms of trail conditions and pleasant views. We topped out at 9:00am, drawn by the hum of the wind through the wires of the tall antenna on top. We found the register, signed in, poked around a little and started back down.

The descent through was delightful, with fantastic views each way we turned. We could make out Abraham, Spaulding & Sugarloaf. This would be a great introductory hike as it was gradual and enjoyable the entire way. We were down by 10:30.

We returned to the condo, packed up, checked out and started north at noon. We approached Baxter State Park and were awed by the size and sheerness of Katahdin. After a good night’s sleep, we would be up early and ready to climb to the highest point in Maine.

THURS, SEPT 2, 2004

Woke up to a 44° morning. Started up the Abol trail at 7:20am. Very cool but it wasn’t long before the jacket came off. The first mile is in the woods and then you pop out onto the longest, steepest trail I have ever looked up. Even at this early hour IT WAS PERFECTLY CLEAR!! SUCH VIEWS. YOU COULDN’T HOPE FOR A DAY LIKE THIS!

We worked up to Thoreau Spring where we joined the Hunt/AT Trail. The walk across the Table Land was breezy with a gradual ascent. Got to the top at 10:15. Two thru hikers were celebrating their finish – Pennsylvania Mule & Bear (Bare?) Behind. I was awed by the Knife Edge with its craggy steep sides. Groups started to arrive from all the different approaches. Doug and I enjoyed endless views for the 2 mile ridge walk around the rim to Hamlin Peak, the other official peak of Katahdin, arriving at noon. We lounged until 1:15 and had a nice visit with a trio from Bridgewater, MA.

Started back and headed over the Baxter Cutoff to Thoreau Spring. There we had the good fortune and coincidence to meet Ed who was also staying at Abol but was going down the Hunt trail and had a truck waiting to take him back to Abol. We were invited to join him and decided to go down Hunt. I prefer loops and like to take an opportunity to hike the AT when possible. The Hunt Trail is 1.4 miles longer so we figured it would be less steep. It was plenty steep and presented no bargain. Great views of Owl, OJI and Coe as you descend. To the truck at 5:30. Long day and lots of elevation. WHAT A DAY!

FRI, SEPT 3, 2004

Up at 6:30 to a 44° morning. Today we are going to climb North Brother, the only other 4000’er in Baxter Sate Park at 4143’. North Brother sits at the northern end of a range of peaks that include South Brother, 3874’, Mt. Coe, 3670’, and OJI, 3400’. It is an impressive range sitting across the valley west of Katahdin. We had a great view of that range all day Thursday.

We found the Marsten Trail Head (1200’) and hoisted our packs at about 9:30am. We gained 600’ in the first ½ mile. The trail wound its way up to the pond at about 2400’ at which point it climbed steeply along a ridge to a point at 3300’ above the pond. Along the way we saw some very distinct and large hoof prints in the mud – obviously a moose had gone down the trail ahead of us. The day was cloudy but the ceiling was about 4700’ so we had views of all but the highest peaks of Katahdin. As we climbed the steep, final ascent of NB, we came out above tree line to a windy, final 200’. We were at the top at noon. Our 9th Maine high peak in 6 days of climbing! I now have 73 of the NE 115!

We ducked to the leeward side of the mountain which was the eastern side, facing Katahdin. We could see yesterday’s hike quite clearly, except for the highest 500’ which was in the clouds. We rested and ate our lunch. At 12:30 were ready to make our last descent of the trip. Our descent was smooth and steady. We got back to the car at 2:30pm.

Our Maine adventure couldn’t have been more successful! I can’t wait to come back and climb the 5 peaks left on my list. I joke about peakbagging but it does get me out on these new and beautiful mountains with my family and friends. And we always meet the nicest folks along the way.
Hope to see ya all some day on a summit.

Bob H.