McKenzie and Moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
I'm a little late for this trip report, but better late than never right? It was a miserable day for bushwhacking a couple ADK 100 Highest so we decided to do a trail, and maybe avoid getting to wet. Pretty funny huh?

We started our trip off by following the Jackrabbit Trail from the Whiteface Inn Road. The trail was pretty wet in many spots, imagine that. It had been raining off and for a couple days, and the water had nowhere to go but down the trail and into our boots.

After a breif stop at the lean-to, to get out of the rain we started out again under a light drizzle. Wet, wet, wet was pretty much the whole trail from the 4 way intersection to the top of the first summit along the ridge of McKenzie. Not only was the water flowing but the mud was deep and the trail is very eroded.

We basked in the low clouds as we had a snack at the first view point, and continued over the multiple other small summits to the actual top. No views, but the rain had stopped. That was good enough for us.

From here it was the SOA Trail over to Moose. Also known as the Wadsworth Trail. It starts out with blowdown covering sections, making it hard to follow. But after 0.25 miles it cleared out. The trail is very soft underfoot, and a pleasent hike. Many side trails to lookout, that we skipped. Only, because we wouldn't see anything anyhow. There never is a really steep section along this route. The summit of Moose is a real treat, on a nice day. This day offered us nothing.

We descended down the Two-Brooks Trail to complete a loop back to the car. This trail is very steep but also in excellent condition. Part way down there is an intersection to Loch Bonnie. We chose to go there and check it out, it was only 0.30 miles away.

Loch Bonnie is a gem. Especially in fall foliage. There's a lean-to along the shore. Complete with dirt floor, a bed of pine boughs, windy side walls, and a leaky roof. Didn't stop us from having lunch there though. What an amazing spot, I hope someday they decide to rebuild a lean-to there.

While eating lunch a young lady and her dog stopped by, said hi, chitchatted a little and turned around and wet back down. No backpack, no water, no food, no rain gear-a little odd.

We were getting cold so we packed up, and high tailed it out to the lake. We came down to Camp Solitute and guess who we saw, that young lady and her dog. We were having trouble finding the trail, so we asked her where it was. She offered us a map of the SOA Trails. But before we could get the map we got invited into the camp by her Father I think. Offered a cup of tea, and a guide to the SOA Trails.

Come to find out that Camp Solitude is open to the public with reservations. A very nice family. We talked for a while, relaxed, warmed up. Then we got offered a boat ride back to the Inn, a small walk to the car. Very cool hike, with an amazing ending.

We also me the man responsible for reopenning the SOA trail system around Moose and McKenzie-Richard Hayes Phillips.

I think this is the website for the camp www.campsolitute.com The least I can do is give them a shout out for the boat ride.

Reactions: arm