Measuring for a backpack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJH

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact way to measure the torso for a backpack if purchasing online? I'm looking to probably get my wife a backpack for mothers day, ( besides what she would really want ). The one I am looking at is women specific and the torso sizes are small 15-17" med 17-19"
and large 19-21". She is 5'3" so I know she is not a large. Any lady's out there about that height that can tell me what they would get? I know that I at 5'11" always use a regular men's size around 19". So I would think she is probably a small.

The only question now is what to say to her when she asks me "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" when I'm coming at her with a tape measurer.

Thanks for any help, TJH

TJH said:
I'm looking to probably get my wife a backpack for mothers day, ( besides what she would really want ).
TJH

So what does she really want? A Black and Decker belt sander? ;)

Something else shorter people need to watch out for is head clearance, i.e. Is the top of the pack low enough that you can tip your head back. Of course, you may not want her to get a glimpse of the steep slope you're going up!

TJH
When I used to work for EMS years ago and later for another outfitter, we would measure the torsos and everyone is different. Torso length is independent of height, as some folk are short torso & long legged, long torso & short legged and everything in between.

I learned to measure from the big bump in the back of your neck down to your Iliac Crest. If you tip your head down you can feel the bump, but when measuring, have your wife straighten her head up after you have found it. From here, go straight straight down to the a point on your back that is level with the top of your hipbones.
To find her hipbones, Have your wife stand straight and put her hands on her hips - you can just eyeball an imaginary level line from her thumbs to the center of her back - This is the approximate spot of the Iliac Crest

Once you get the correct size backpack you can make minor comfort adjustments, such as adjusting the harness (or hip belt) so that center of the hip belt is right around the iliac crest.

The harness should fit snugly and curve right around the shoulder to where it meets the pack (internal frame) or head up at a 45 degree angle from the shoulder to the pack (external frame).

It might take a little time to have a pack well-fitted, and it's better or her to walk around the store for an hour or so with it on to see how it feels. but it certainly pays off in the long run - Especially if it keeps her out on the trails happy instead of cursing the pack or constantly "shrugging" to get it to ride on her correctly.

Good Luck

Thanks for the good advice.

And Puck, you laugh, but my wife actually used to work at a Sear's hardware store while she was in school. She knows 10 times more about tools than I do. One day I was helping her dad cut some plywood. When we were done, she was making fun of me saying, "I saw you big strong man using that circular saw." I laughed because I didn't even know the thing I was using was called a circular saw. :)

Here is a site that offers women specific packs:

http://www.mgear.com/Pages/Product/..._Title/Backpacks/Level3_Title/Multi-Day+Packs

Unisex packs often don't work well for women. My wife went through two packs before buying a Gregory, and almost gave up on backpacking altogether.

Fitting a pack is a lot more than selecting the right size. One also has to pay close attention to how it is packed and how the straps are adjusted. Having an ill-adjusted pack is just as bad as having an ill-fitted one, and far more common. You need to spend time with a loaded, weighted pack and an expert sales person. It should take just as much or more time to select a pack and fit it as to purchase a pair of hiking boots. Don't get a pack that is too small, a loosely stuffed pack will feel more comfortable than an overstuffed one that is hard as a rock. And don't think that you have to get an ultralight pack, you may end up with a glorified grocery sack with straps. An extra pound or two for extra padding or a better suspension is not going to make a big difference in total weight, but can make all the difference in comfort.

TJH said:
Thanks for the good advice.

And Puck, you laugh, but my wife actually used to work at a Sear's hardware store while she was in school. She knows 10 times more about tools than I do. One day I was helping her dad cut some plywood. When we were done, she was making fun of me saying, "I saw you big strong man using that circular saw." I laughed because I didn't even know the thing I was using was called a circular saw. :)

then you can't go wrong....I had bought tools and kitchen equipement (I am a former chef) that I wanted for my first wife and ... :eek: :confused: I think I know where I went wrong now!

Not sure if your gift is a surprise or not, but nevertheless, you might HIGHLY consider taking your wife into a store which sells packs, and having her try them on. There are so many things to consider when buying a pack, especially if you want it to last for the person it is intended for.

Size, capacity, weight, extras, ease of use, comfortability, upkeep, hip belt comfort, shoulder strap comfort.. are all just a FEW things needed to be considered. It never used to be this hard, but with the aboce questions answered properly... hiking can be so much more enjoyable.

SJ :eek: