Sawyer Pond Overnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
When my daughter agreed to stay at Lakes of the Clouds, I was happy to arrange the trip as she hadn't been much interested in hiking with her Old Man these last few years. When she said she also wanted to backpack to a campsite I was happily surprised. Originally I was going to combine the two nights - hiking to a campsite and the to the hut - but ultimately I opted to separate them. Sawyer Pond made sense as the camping destination. I had never been, it looked beautiful from what I could see and the hike in was an easy 1.5 miles. Ezri hadn't been hiking much and the hike up to Lakes would be taxing so the shorter this first night/morning, the better.

It was indeed a beautiful spot and we arrived early and had our pick of the tent platforms. Some kids had hauled out an inflatable paddleboard and there was another paddleboarder there as well. Looked like a fine way to spend the day.

We swam, Ezri took a nap and I filmed critters and collected firewood. All in all, a wonderful afternoon. Despite it being Friday I thought we might be in store for a quiet night but 20 minutes before sunset a pack of 12 college kids rolled in and set up shop on the other end of the camp. They hooted and hollered until midnight. And couldn't hang a bear bag worth a damn. Additionally our sleeping pads did not provide us with much comfort and so we both endured a fairly miserable night in tent.

At least the morning was peaceful. I heard an "oooon" call from across the pond. A moose or a loon? We packed up pretty early as we had to head to Ammo Trailhead and I was hopeful about still being able to secure a spot (nope).

Despite all that it was good to get out in the woods with my daughter. Sawyer Pond is a lovely destination and during the week the likelihood of sharing the camp with partiers probably goes way down. A friend suggested a winter trip and I can see that being a lot of fun (though a lot more hiking to get there). And if nothing else, after the poor night in the tent Ezri said she would be willing to consider a hammock on the next go!

Thanks as always for the video Seth. I've only been in through the Kanc side, and that was 4 decades ago. One of these days (when school starts!) I need to pack in my float tube and do some fishing there.

As always great Video! Way to get out there with your daughter. Enjoy every second of it while you can. It goes fast but no one will ever be able to take it away from you.Snoopy.jpg

Thanks much guys.

Thanks as always for the video Seth. I've only been in through the Kanc side, and that was 4 decades ago. One of these days (when school starts!) I need to pack in my float tube and do some fishing there.

Definitely seems like the place to hike in and make use of your portable floating devices. When I went to hang my bear bag it was dark and someone had just begun fishing from the rocks nearby.

As always great Video! Way to get out there with your daughter. Enjoy every second of it while you can. It goes fast but no one will ever be able to take it away from you.View attachment 6902

Yep. It feels like my 23 year old step-daughter was just Ezri's age. Blink of an eye and all that.