Megamid for winter shelter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahawus

Reaction score
I use a backpacking hammock in the summer and find myself in need of a winter shelter so as to not be reliant on leanto's. I am drawn to the Megamid and the Betamid and their silnylon versions for reasons of weight, price, simplicity and techweeny greed. However as they are bottomless I wonder if their advantages are illussory when you factor in the need for more protection for your sleeping bag.

Do you need to have the optional floor for winter conditions? Is a sleeping bag shaped ground cover enough or should you have a bivvy sack for your bag in combination or without any of the aforementioned elements?

From what I have read on other forums these shelters can work as well as or better than many 4 season tents. I just haven't read any practical discussions of these details.

Decide for yourself. I am working on a way to secure a blue trap to the corner pegs. My Betamid worked like a champ on a windy, snowy, but otherwise not too cold (~20F) night on Zealand.
Zealand Mountain Campsite

I'd get the heavier version of the Betamid or Megamid. I don't know how well the lighter weight versions would work in winter (but that's just me)

Hi Tahawus,
Back in the ealry 90's, I used a Quest Nova, which was almost identical to the Chouinard/BD Megamid.

What I found was that you really needed to cover the floor in an area much wider than your sleeping bag. Also, as you sunk into the snow under you (even if you dig out your base, you will still sink some) things would slide along the floor ot your sleeping bag.

Condensation is still a big problem, though your back doesn't brush against it as you sit up or kneel. Becuase of the size, these are difficult for 1 person to warm up when compared to a small tent.

Also, it is easy when you move around to get snow on your tarp floor and that all slides down to your sleeping bag/pad in little bits.

I decided to go back with a regular winter tent after 2 years of using it.

I've got a cheap knock off of the Megamid that I love for winter camping. Will go for a lightweight version of the Betamid as soon as I can afford it. Some thoughts and caveats though....

+ IMO, you need a bivy sack to protect your bag, which somewhat offsets weight savings. My strong pref is for bivy sacks with a non-waterproof top for better breathability.

+ You need to have bomber snow stakes of some sort for use in unconsolidated snow. I generally use buried dead fall. Stomp on the snow and it will set up firm in an hour or so. (Tip, run cord around the dead fall and tie off at the tent corner so all you have to do is untie the cord and pull without hacking the dead fall of the snow.

+ Skis and ski poles make good stakes for overnight trips for the 4 corner megamid. Not sure how many tie outs you need for the Betamid?

+ Be sure to carry something to support the center pole(s) in the snow. The tent generates a lot a lot of down pressure.

+ Stamp out a platform in the snow. I use my skis first and boot pack it second. Keep the platform slightly SMALLER than the footprint of the tent.

+ Pitch the tent over a slightly smaller stamped out platform. Better yet, dig out the snow platform and you will have more head room.

+ Be sure to bury the edges of the tent in snow to reduce spindrift from blowing in. But, BE SURE TO ADEQUATELY VENT THE TENT. I'VE SEEN A GUY (NOT ME) GET CARBON-MONOXIDE POISONING FROM COOKING IN HIS TIGHTLY CLOSED MEGAMID.

+ Expect lots of frosting and condensation. These tents can get a big clammy.

All in all, I love my mid for winter camping.

dave.m said:
Be sure to bury the edges of the tent in snow to reduce spindrift from blowing in.

I agree with about all said, especially the above statement. Spindrift is the megamids major problem.

I've used a megamid for 6 years or so now, I'm still a comedy show when I try and set up, but it's great tent. I use it with a bivy, bought the floor for it and after checking it out in the living room I never bothered to use it. A bivy just seemed more flexible and the floor wouldn't really solve the spindrift problem.

Since I got mine a bunch of these types of tents have poped up, but they can be hard to find. Some are better vented or even more teepee like and are round or octagonal in foot print (see Kifaru Tents ).

Sherpa- if you want to cannibalize the attachment bungies from the mega floor for your beta, they're yours.

Howdy fellow crazies-Glad to see I and my friend's are not the only one's who use this system of camping.It is a great way to camp and does cut down on the weight one has to carry and you can pretty much set it up anywhere you want.Just wish all the tent camper's would stop shaking their head's and snickering. Try it once and you will never go back to a tent.

I've always wondered how well these work. Seem like they'd be OK for 3 seasons.

In winter, a "regular" tent raises the inside ambient temperature
quite a bit. What you may save in tent weight you may lose in having to carry a heavier bag and sleep colder.
Nothing like a tent when you start getting ready when you wake and it -15 or -20 outside and much warmer in the tent.

It's fairly easy in winter to get a 10° or so temperature boost in a megamid. A candle lantern will boost that a bit more. If anything the extra volume of the tent is the major difficultly in warming it up.

I will say for really cold winter, setting up the megamid (for me) is less than ideal.

Also for 3 season use, being flyless, the tent will collect bugs in the inside.

Warren: I've worked out a bungie system that seems to be good. Thanks anyway!

Warmth: The Betamid/Megamid will keep you as warm as a regular tent. Once you've packed snow around the tent perimeter, you will not need to worry about wind, etc getting in.

I agree with the comments re: everything slides toward the sleeping bag. It has bee ntoug to stay dry over multiple days, so I've limited my Betamid use to single day trips (I may use it in BSP for 3 comsecutive nights next month).

too much work

Recently spent the night in a Megamid in the col between the Wolfjaws. Seemed to spend a lot of time shoring up the walls with snow and burying deadmans (which were really interesting trying to dig out the next morning after the temp had dropped and the snow had frozen solid - bring an ice ax) and digging out a grave like (in my opinion) sleeping area - only to have the wind rip through later in the night and send the Megamid a flapping in the breeze. By now the snow was rock hard and not suitable for trying to anchor said walls again. Oh how I wished for my tent, with a floor, at that point. Plus my tent took ten minutes to set up. Could see the Megamid for three season, but for winter - too much work!

Good feedback on the pyramid type shelters. I think when I scrape together the money that is the way I will go. I need to look at all types first and the silnylon versions. Anybody able to compare the the different ones? Kiva vs megamid vs kifaru vs whatever.

Anchoring is my one big concern. Kifaru sells 30 inch long spikes which they say far outperform snowanchors. How about these? http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

another option- the GoLite series

GoLite is making a betamid-type shelter. They have different configurations, with zip in floors, and zip-in bug netting.
Campmor sells it, it's semi-reasonable in price.

Tahawus-

I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get to a home depot and see if I can find a decent substitute for the 30" pegs. I have had good luck using long branches of dead fall the way he Paul Smith advocates using pegs.

Bhoody, as much as I like my megamid, I will likely get an Integral Designs tent when I can afford one, mostly for the decreased set up time.