Military Jet Manuevers over Sandwich Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in tech school we had Harriers landing at our field periodically. I was not on the flight line when I was in the Air Force so I didnt get to hear and see all the planes often enough for me. We were on Galehead last weekend when (probably) those same A-10's flew over. Not much can get me out of my groove when I am hiking but that got me to stop in my tracks.

A good buddy of mine is a guardsman who flies helicopters... he was recently telling me about climbing over Jim, Blue, and Moosilauke at night using night vision... he isn't a hiker, but said that it made him want to start, and that he regretted not seeing it during the day. What a ride!! I'm going to pick his brain with a topo to see what valleys he flew up. just cool stuff. he said that once in a while they can bring a guest, and that since no one else had asked, i'm on the top of the list!

On another flying related topic, how cool is it to be on Franconia Ridge, on the peak of Lafayette, North Lincoln, or Lincoln, and have one of the gliders out of Franconia skim the saddle at an elevation LOWER that where you're standing? Very cool, I'd say...

I will confirm that the NH ANG flies KC-135 tankers so fighters or attack planes are from elsewhere. I have often been able to look down on the planes as they flew up a valley where I was on a ridge.

At one time the Adirondacks had a no-fly policy over Wilderness and I even saw a page with silhouettes (US Planes only, no Migs) and an 800 number to call the Strategic Air Command to report what type you saw. (I thought the SAC number would be a military secret, but I suppose they need an 800 number in case the president wants to start WW III and doesn't have a dime.)