MON 437 & 439, Another end to another journey ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimC

Reaction score
MON 437 & 439, Another end to another journey ...

On SUNDAY, I had the pleasure of accompanying Onestep to the summit of W Three Slide (Trail Reports, Maine, for Onestep’s account).

On MONDAY, I had the pleasure of accompanying Oncoman (who is, indeed, Da Man) to the summits of MON 437 & 439. And, yes, this is the same Pierre that you may have read about in another Trip Report. This guy is the stuff of legends. He does a 2 day PEMI Traverse Bushwhack, then drives all night to hike with me the next day. Impressive!

We enjoyed excellent WX for both days. I enjoyed excellent company for both days!

MONDAY was of special significance for me. MON 439 was my final New England 3k. It has been quite a ride (6 years and a whole lot of bushwhacking).

I find it noteworthy that there have been 3 New England 3k Finishers in a 30 day period. Glen Houle finished on 9/9 on Barren. Dennis (dms) finished on 9/30 on Big Squaw. And now, myself, Jim Crawford (JimC), finishing on 10/9 on MON 439.

While MON 439 may not be considered a glamour peak, this hike was a lot of FUN. That makes it a glamour peak for me.

Special thanks go to Bill Dotchin, Dennis (dms) and Kurt (Onestep) for dragging my sorry butt through the woods.

Congrats!

Way to go Jim! Glad to hear you weren't mistaken for a moose bulling your way to the top!

Congratulations Jim!!, this spring / summer/ fall has been one heck of a trip ('whack).
Who needs the Canada Road anyway - 'eh?

Onestep

Congratulations Jim, I'm glad I was able to join you for a few of them. You da man!

Phil S

Way to go Jim! You have my outmost admiration & I can assure you that I felt very humble accompanying such a great one on the end of his passionate peak quest. Thanks again for this privilege which I will cherish for a very long time.

Pierre

Congratulations from me, too. I hope you don’t mind a few questions...

1) You definitely finished? Onestep’s report the other day said ‘‘This peak was 449/451 for JimC!!’’ The last I knew, the count was 453. There aren’t a couple stragglers out there, I hope. Or has the list changed again?

2) When you say it’s been a six-year ride, do you mean it’s six years since you climbed your very first New England 3000-footer, or six years you’ve been pursuing the list in earnest? (It took me practically 29 years just to complete the New England Hundred Highest, but they were all done or done again over nine years and one day.)

3) How many finishers are there in all? I assume you must be at least the twelfth. I read here that Dennis Crispo was the sixth, and I’d guess that John Swanson, Sue Eilers, and Erik Schlimmer may have been seventh, eighth, and ninth, but there were probably others after them and before Glenn Houle.

4) Are New York and Pennsylvania on your radar?

Jim, congratulations on completing the New England 3k list. It was an honor to meet you over Labor Day Weekend, and a pleasure to join you for two of those hikes. With 3k list done, I hope this frees you up to do the Glamorous Mountains List. :D

Congratulations

Raymond said:
3) How many finishers are there in all? I assume you must be at least the twelfth. I read here that Dennis Crispo was the sixth, and I’d guess that John Swanson, Sue Eilers, and Erik Schlimmer may have been seventh, eighth, and ninth, but there were probably others after them and before Glenn Houle.
There are a couple dozen finishers, the 3 latter folks named above were not in the first dozen. Many of the finishers retired from peakbagging and nobody remembers them any more (including a couple who did most of them in a year).

According to a post Erik Schlimmer make to the Summit Canisters thread, JimC. would be the 32nd finisher of the New England 3k list.

Perhaps we should start a thread where people can post when they finish this list. I know I'd be interested in knowing who achieves this feat. With Jim done, I wonder if anyone else is close...

Response to Raymond

Congratulations from me, too. I hope you don’t mind a few questions...

1) You definitely finished? Onestep’s report the other day said ‘‘This peak was 449/451 for JimC!!’’ The last I knew, the count was 453. There aren’t a couple stragglers out there, I hope. Or has the list changed again?

My list shows 451. The possible stragglers to which you refer likely have been deleted from my list for lack of qualification. Like most good bushwhackers, I made it a point to hike these deleted peaks, as well as some that are close to qualifying. As we have seen, peaks on the list come and go.

2) When you say it’s been a six-year ride, do you mean it’s six years since you climbed your very first New England 3000-footer, or six years you’ve been pursuing the list in earnest? (It took me practically 29 years just to complete the New England Hundred Highest, but they were all done or done again over nine years and one day.)

It has been 6 years in earnest.

I am working on this very question. It will take some time. I will report back.

4) Are New York and Pennsylvania on your radar?

Not at this time.

I hope this formatting works?