Monadnock in Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I sent this question privately to one of our veteran peak baggers, but I thought I'd throw it out to eveyone to see if any one has done this peak. I was looking over the maps of northern Vermont and noticed Monadnock Mountain (elev 3148'), across the Connecticut River from Colebrook NH. (DeLorme page 37.)

Topozone of Vermont's Monadnock

This map shows the peak along side the upper Connecticut River. With a prominence of 1528', that's not bad. It appears to stand out from it's surroundings much like it's archetype in southern New Hampshire.

Has anyone climbed this peak? There's supposed to be an abandoned Fire Tower there. Is it climbable? Since I'll be up in the area to hike Gore, I may do this one too. Is Gore + Monadnock doable in 1 day?

I'll be up in that neck of the woods on Friday June 4th. Anyone care to join me? I recon most folk have never been in that area, less then 10 miles from the Canadian border.

Thanks
Pb

Last edited:
Hi

I hiked Vermont's Monadnock today. It is pretty much as advertised in the Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont. It is a hike of about 5 miles round trip and about 2000 feet of elevation gain. The trail starts in a gravel pit and it is slightly confusing trying to figure out where the first sign is pointing you to. After that the trail is easy to follow with some blowdown near the top. The fire tower is missing its bottom steps, I didn't bother trying to climb it since the summit was fogged in. I was planning to hike a second peak after Monadnock and I had time, but I was soaked so I wimped out and went home.

PP