Montrail Trail Runner Question!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridge

Reaction score
Howdy all!

I'm in the market for a new set of trail running shoes. Doing a search of the site I have seen some good comments about the Montrail brand. I am thinking of either the
Montrail Mountain Mist XCR Trail-Running or the Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR Trail-Running . Since I live far from a cool store that sells these shoes, I have to get them on-line. My main question is: Does anyone have an idea about Montrail sizing? I wear a size 10 in Nike's and Reebok's. Would a 10 in Montrail fit well??

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks!!

Kevin Rooney said:
So what's up with Stinkyfeet? Did I miss a thread? I checked the member list, and it shows her account with 31 posts and 2 green squares, which on the surface seems a bit odd, but I guess there's techical explanation. It doesn't show "Banned" - voluntary withdrawal?

Don't want to dredge up dirty laundry here, so if someone has the scoop and wishes to PM it to me, that would work too.

Kevin

Nah, just thats she's on vacation. No MIA's to report. It's all good dude!

never run in montrails, but i run on trails outside boston everyday in asics trabucos. i also use 'em for mountain runnin' and just plain ol' hikin'. take a look at them too if you have access.

as for sizing, i always get my trail runners (and road runners for that matter) a half to a full size bigger so my toenails don't turn black (they do anyway, but not as fast). just crank the laces down tight and go!

If you can find them, check out the MONTRAIL VITESSE. This is the trail runner that really started it all, and still one of the best!

I went a half size larger than normal with the Vitesse and the fit was perfect.
Onestep

My wife and I both run in the Hurricane Ridge and like them. We're on our second pair. Sizing is like street shoes. I picked up a pair of lighter New Balance trail runners, but they weren't as comfortable or as protective. I had planned to break in the NBs for the adk trail run, but I ended up running that in the Montrails, and they were great for racing as well as hiking.

I had a pair of Montrail Hardrocks this year that took quite a beating and held up to the test, didn't have to adjust any sizing, same size as normal. Very comfortable, very popular. Wore them from Damascus, VA to Delaware Water Gap, PA (roughly 820 miles) Thought I'd switch out shoes after the rocks of PA, even though the shoes still had plenty of "life", they were getting a bit chewed up.
From DWG - Katahdin, (890 miles) I wore a pair of New Balance 806s which were wonderful. Loved them!! I was still wearing them last week! But they just don't have the tread that they used to!
I loved both brands, I'm a straight size 9 and took a 9 in both brands.

I had a pair of Hurricane's (2 yrs ago..style might have changed by now) and wore them through some pretty muddy/wet terrain and they didn't even last 400 miles. The plastic design on the sides of the shoe tore where I flexed my foot. Both shoes looked like sandals in no time. They were very comfortable, but just didn't last all that long. I'd look at the shoe and bend it where you're foot will flex and see if it looks like it's going to hold up.

Montrail Hurricane Ridge

I have owned about 10 pairs of Montrail Hurricane Ridge GTX's. I absolutely love them, and have not bought another pair of shoes since I bought my fist pair of Montrail's. For me, they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. In my experience Montrail sizing is pretty consistent with other mainstream manufacurers. I bought my first pair at the same size that I bought all other previous shoes, and it worked out fine. The gortex liner works very well in these shoes. The only knock on the Hurricane's is there longevity, I will typically go through 2 pairs of these per year, whereas I good pair of sturdy hiking boots will give you several years of service. My experience is that a pair of Montrail will give you between 200 - 300 trail miles of service, although I put 600 miles on one pair in 2003.

I just bought a new pair of Merrells, but I tried on the Montrail Hurricane Ridge's at the same time. The sizing of both were the same as my street shoes. I really liked the Montrails, but ended up choosing the Merrell Chameleon II XCRs because they felt a little more stable and cushioned to me. I plan on picking up the Montrails if I can find my size at the next REI garage sale.