moose mtn, lk placid parking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
where to park? I was told to drive to the end of chipmunk lane and park at the end of the pavement. look for steps that lead a short distance to the lake trail. Then I was told there is a trespassing sign near the steps. A second option was to park along whiteface inn road and walk .5 miles to the trail. What is the right thing to do?

Adk_dib said:
where to park? I was told to drive to the end of chipmunk lane and park at the end of the pavement. look for steps that lead a short distance to the lake trail. Then I was told there is a trespassing sign near the steps. A second option was to park along whiteface inn road and walk .5 miles to the trail. What is the right thing to do?

I believe that trail from Whiteface Inn is a different route up Moose/McKenzie

A little late for a reply but just in case anyone is interested here is what little I know.

In July of 05' you could park in the turn around at the end of Chipmunk Lane. The "steps" are at the first house along the short drive leading (north?) where there are several homes. We saw the no sign denying access but the steps clearly led down into somebody's well manicured lawn. There was no indication of a trail and we did not wish to walk across somebody's very expensive lawn uninvited. Before leaving we checked the area to see if there was legal access to the lake.

While wandering about the paved area an elderly gentleman exited the second or third house down the lane. He walked us across his lawn down to the lake and pointed to the trail. About a hundred feet beyond his house there was a Shore Owners Association sign signifying the trail.
We would not have gotten there if not for the kindness of one home owner.

This is clearly a private trail and well maintained as it crosses expansive neatly landscaped lawns along the lake. It was even manicured with wood chips and 2x4 boards lining the edges. It followed the lake perhaps 3/4 to a mile before turning inland toward the mountain. A few dirt roads crossed the trail between the turn from the lake and the one mile point. There may be access via these roads if you can locate them. Or you may get lucky and one of the residents along the lane might allow you to cross their well kept lawns to gain trail access. The views along the lake are quite impressive and the entire trail up to Moose Mt is exceptional.

Best guess is after publication in a magazine, don't recall which one, Wilderness something or other, those stairs likely saw a influx of people. The occasional hiker changed from a novelty to an intrusion. So the owners of that specific house denied access. Just a guess on my part but one or two hikers a year are a mere curiosity, but when the masses arrive------------

Hope this helps, good luck on getting an invite to that trail. Depends on what the owner's experience has been since publication.

I'd actually suggest the loop the other way......... park at the McKenzie trail because. 1) it avoids the hassle of all that 2) It's not that far of a walk and 3) the most important reason............

The walk between Moose/McKenzie is pure heaven. One of the best in the whole DAKS for my money.

mavs00 said:
The walk between Moose/McKenzie is pure heaven. One of the best in the whole DAKS for my money.

Ya know, I remember you telling me that ...... in pretty much those exact words ..... a few years ago at the 46r meeting. I had chalked it up to post-hike adrenaline and that feeling you get after a great hike ....... that emotional perception that the experience was the "best one ever" ...... if that makes any sense.

But now that you have uttered these praises of this hike equally after several years, it really must be that good. Looking forward to it! :)

I already did Mckensie from that trailhead 3 years ago, hers's a picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adkdib/Adirondack/photo#5016371284730097538

I did not contnue on to Moose becouse I had a 3.5 hour drive home. I will be basecamped in Jay for a week so if I go that way again I will be able to finish it this time. I kind of wanted to try another trail this time because I have already done the other trail. If I go the lake trail I cold always take the trail from moose to mckensie back.

Adk_dib said:
I already did Mckensie from that trailhead 3 years ago, hers's a picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adkdib/Adirondack/photo#5016371284730097538

I did not contnue on to Moose becouse I had a 3.5 hour drive home. I will be basecamped in Jay for a week so if I go that way again I will be able to finish it this time. I kind of wanted to try another trail this time because I have already done the other trail. If I go the lake trail I cold always take the trail from moose to mckensie back.

Adk_dib

It appears the lake trail is open by the generosity of the lake shore owners. If you can get someone's permission to cross their private lawn to get to the trail, it is a great hike. I'd hesitate to just walk through without asking first.