Mooselauke plus Jim, Blue and South

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
We headed up via Asquam Ridge, Beaver Brook and Benton and down via Carriage and Hurricane.

Asquam was free of snow all the way to the summit of Jim. However, heading down the north side of Jim the snow was very deep. Fortunately this section was very short. Beaver Brook from its intersection with Asquam had intermittent patches of snow all the way to Benton, but nothing that required traction. Benton to the tree line also had intermittent snow patches that were easily passed. Above the treeline the trails were bare. The carriage road was also bare above the tree line with intermittent patches down in the trees. There is a short section below Glencliff that has a bit more snow but it didn't last long. Below that short stretch Carriage Road and Hurricane were totally free of snow.

There were a surprising number of blowdowns between the two foot bridges on Asquam. They're not that hard to get by, but we've come to expect to be spoiled by the well maintained Dartmouth trails so this was a surprise. The rest of the trails were in good condition.

All streams were bridged by wooden bridges.

It's amazing how much smoother the Carriage road is below snapper. I would guess the difference comes from the lower amount of foot traffic.

There were no bugs out today. It was too cold when we left and too windy on top, but it warmed up to about 60* on lower Carriage and Hurricane and they still didn't come out.

We did the whack up to Blue today. I hadn't been there since Duffy died almost six years ago. The log book's first entry was by J & J in memory of Bill Bowden and the last entry before ours was in March by Stinky Feet.

I didn't realize when I did the whack how opportune it was. Just before the Benton trail I met a couple of guys coming down from the summit. The told me they couldn't see a thing. When I got up there just a short time later the clouds had lifted and we had great views. Had I not done the whack I also would have been treated to the fog.

There are no views from Jim and Blue but the views from the south peak are outstanding. The rewards are outstanding for just a 1/10 of a mile spur.

This was a very nostalgic final trip up one of my favorite peaks and the one for which Lauky was named. The mountain today offered us everything we have come to expect from that Mountain--wind, misty rain, fog, and outstanding views. It was a great hike.:)

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/Boondeck/media/035-4_zps139226b9.jpg.html

[email protected]

Last edited: