Moosilauke and South Peak via Glencliff & Carriage road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 4-24-14

Trail Conditions: Trail dry to slightly muddy down low. Hit snow/ice starting at 2900 feet where it stayed consistently to the summit. Just after the start of the snow and ice was an about 350 foot section of solid ice bulge covering the entire trail. This made things a bit slower trying to keep good footing. Monorail was stable and easy to follow. It was the narrowest and weakest on the south peak spur, but still good there. Carriage road has 3+ feet of solid/stable snow still in most places (bare ground and ice in a few places). A moose has postholed some on the carriage road, but didn't make a mess for the most part.

Special Equipment Required: I left the snowshoes in the car and that was a good decision. Microspikes were enough for this hike, although some might feel more comfortable in crampons on a couple of icy sections

Comments: Windy at the summit (39 mph avg. with gusts to 52 mph). Rime ice was everywhere up high making for some nice scenery. This is the third time I have hiked here and the first time I have had views to the north (even if the cloud bank was around 5300 ft).

Your name: Adam (sdways01)

Your E-mail address: sdways01atyahoodotcom