Moosilauke Solo Hike 10/15/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Today I completed an intensely gratifying hike. It was personally satisfying, not only because it was the first solo hike I'd gotten a chance to do in months, but also because the soggy weather was rather invigorating.

A detailed, reflective, full trip report is attached.

For those with a short attention span, pictures are here: :) http://community.webshots.com/album/477454888vqwoLY

Wow thats awesome. The weather up here has definately been quite foul. That mountain is a very interesting place as flat as it is on top. I am thinking of doing it again this winter. Nice pics!

Walking alone in the woods and up mountains is an intensely gratifying experience. I listen to my mind, my body and of course my surroundings.Once in awhile the line blurs and whats in and out just kinda flow along together in an undefinedness.
It was really cool and brave of you to post thoughts such as you did. Very fun to read through,thanks for sharing..

Nicely said. A solo hike is a completely different experience, and you did a wonderful job of summing up your feelings, much similar to my own and I'm sure many others, on such an achievement.

I knew it was hiking you were talking about! :cool:

inspiring...

Jess,
I think that your trip report post just inspired me to take the plunge...I have yet to do a full day hike solo, and recently I've been thinking about it a lot. I loved reading your account, and could really understand the different phases/feelings of the day from your vivid descriptions...great writing! Thanks for sharing, and hopefully I'll have my own solo trip report to post some day soon. :)

By the way, after hiking Waumbek yesterday in the rain (with a quick trip to Ripley Falls too) after more than a week of rainfall in NH, I too greatly appreciated the wet, saturated environment--I was reminded of the soothing, refreshing, comfort of water and its immense, powerful, potentially destructive quality too--quite a dichotomy.

-katie

Very nice how you put the feeling into words.

Hello,

I enjoyed your thoughtful ruminations about soloing the Moose in the rain. Alone time can indeed be rich.

In the photo of your boots, I noted that you were not sporting a pair of gaitors. I have discovered that either high or low gaitors can extend the amount of "dry" time for feets by two or three hours. That's sometimes enuff to get back to the car on a day hike!

cb

great trip report
I wanted to send it to my co-workers and wife who think I am nuts doing this hiking thing in all sorts of weather but realised they wouldn't get it.
becuase you have to do it to have those feelings... I Do
It is great to see them written down
Thanks it made my day in the office bearable
Al

Wow, thanks for the great feedback. I figured the only place I'd find people who feel the same way about long, solitary hikes in the rain would be here! Certainly none of my non-hiking friends understand.

As for gaiters, ChrisB, I do not yet own a pair. I'm stubbornly resistant to buying what I call "comfort gear" although I will have to break down and get winter-appropriate stuff very soon. Actually the water wasn't as bothersome as I thought it might be. During this hike I don't think gaitors would have been effective anyways!

Now get out there and hike, people. :D

That was a great report that really made my lunch break relaxing! I took Monday off from work because I couldn't go hiking this weekend and did a few short solo hikes in the Blue Hills. On a beautiful day after such a rainy month I really took in all of the scenery with an open mind and a smile. I read over 100 pages of my current book and took some amazing pictures. Everyone who gets stressed out should really consider a solo hike through the forest. It does wonders for your mind as well as gives you some time to organize your thoughts. Thanks again for the wonderful report!

-Tomahawk