Moosilauke via Carriage Rd 3/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 3/29/14

Trail Conditions: I was psyched to see snowmobile tracks hoping to bare boot, but unfortunately it was still knee deep mashed potatoes, so snowshoes it was. Even more unfortunate some moron rode their snowmobile all the way to the actual summit. Trail to the south peak is post hole city. Glencliff was well broken and probably bare bootable. I scooted down a few tenths to red line what I missed a couple weeks ago after turning around exhausted from breaking trail (I was the guy with canine companion in Big Earl’s trip report) and what I saw of it was hard packed.
Could have changed to bare boots or micro-spikes above treeline as it was hard and crusty, but I’m lazy and left the shoes on truck to truck.

Special Equipment Required: Snow shoes or skis a must on Carriage. One group bare booted up Glencliff and said it was fine. Lots of skiers out.

Comments: Amazing day. Clear, warm, windy on the summit but warm enough to make it tolerable. No issues with Tuckers paws balling up as they did two weeks ago. Lower trail, below Hurricane was very sloppy on the way out, and even with shoes on I was sinking 6-8" at times.

Access road past the pavement is a s#%t show and will not be driveable with out 4-wheel drive for much longer. My truck was sinking 4" plus in slop on the way out. I hope the little Honda made it out ok.

Your name: Dave and Tucker

Last edited: