Moosilauke via Glencliff Trail 2/22/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docross

In Memoriam to a Deceased Member
Reaction score
A beautiful day before the weekend predicted storms. Left the parking lot with JEM3 at 8:35, broke trail to the AT junction a hundred yards away, then it was smooth sailing on snowshoes until we passed the group ahead of us. A single hiker had preceded us (he left at 7 am) and had partly broken the drifts on the steep section of the trail. We continued the process, meeting the early-riser as he was heading down, around 3500 feet.

There was no wind down below the junction, and bright skies, and we were layered down with the climb. Once at the junction we were passed by a couple, and we followed, still no wind, and brilliant sun on the snow made me glad I had sunglasses. Wore the snowshoes up to the summit, where a slight breeze suggested layering up. One of the calmest days on Moosilauke I've experienced.

We met 3 skiers on our way down; they had come up the Carriage trail and were going to head down Gorge Brook after summiting. We also met a few other hikers on the Glencliff. We kept our shoes on the whole way, as did everyone else apparently, because the trail is a beautiful highway, with no postholes.

5 hours 30 minutes round trip total time, and my first Over 70 (years old) 4K peak! JEM3 finished his 12 x Moosilauke in 12 months of the year, and he's done with February now.