Moosilauke via Gorge Brook - 4/10/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
A great hike with an expectedly large amount of new snow. Ravine Rd. is still closed but almost completely snow free so it was a very quick walk to the trailhead. Gorge Brook was snow-free for only the first few tenths of a mile and then a couple of inches of powder rapidly grew to as much as 8-10" of fresh soft snow. We didn't bring snowshoes. I probably wouldn't have used them - not sure the flotation would have been enough to justify the extra weight - but my hiking companion told me she would have worn them had we had them. Very easy until the long flat section heading up toward the summit through the low pines: we could feel the monorail at this point but there was so much snow coverage that it was tough to find it so every once in awhile we'd skid off. But overall very decent footing thanks to the new snow.

The stream crossings are mostly fairly easy but there's one section where the trail crosses to the other side and then right back that was sketchy. The snow bridges were okay on the way up but broke under my weight on the way back. Had to take care to try and make sure there were rocks underneath.

No blowdowns of which to speak.