Moriah: best way up??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamerunner

Reaction score
Stoneybrook vs Carter-Moriah

Is either clearly more fun, easier.. I was thinking of going up via Stoney brook soon, provided the stream crossings are ok, but other than a brief walk on Stoneybrook one year when the stream crossing was not ok, I haven't been on either trail.

Any thoughts on which is better???

been up both and prefer carter moriah as it has better views since you go over the "ledgy but insignificant summit of mt surprise". go that way. or make a loop. :) :) :) :)

edit--but now that i think about, i think both ways are just as scenic in different ways. and now i actually think i liked stony brook more.

of course this is absolutely no help. i'd say it's a tossup so a loop hike would be the best. some road walkin' (maybe around 3 or 4 miles--i don't have my maps handy). :) :)

have a good hike!

Last edited:
Both routes are really nice. Rattle River is great too!

For winter, I would say Stony Brook is better. In summer, Carter-Moriah is better. So, I guess my final piece of advice would be to do a car spot or a road walk or hitch. Find a way to do two of the trails. On Moriah, it's all good! :D

Took Carter-Moriah on Sunday. Was nicely graded, completely broken in, but you will need crampons. Views were okay. Decided for that route due to high wind warning (didn't want too much exposed travel).

Enjoy.

Loop is best, views from lower ledges & off to left of C-M trail where stated in the WMG are neat & different from the views you get from Stony Brook direction but the number of ledges & bare terrain coming up from Stoney Brook are far more numerous. In bad weather more exposed, in good weather more fun.

So far I've been down C-M 3X, up it once, up Stony Brook 1X & up Imp 1X While I have a bias towards going up C-M from Bangor Road (finished the NE 65 - then - with Mom & my wife by that route) when I visit Moriah in Spring for four seasons, SB gets the nod.

Thanks! Good info. The stream crossing is my biggest concern with Stoneybrook. ONe recent report says it is solid but it has been a strange winter to say the least.