Moriah Sept 5, Carters Sept 6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoes to Views

Reaction score
I had three thoughts as we started the climb up Stony Brook Trail Saturday. 1) This overnight pack is heavier than I remember. 2) Weren't those western Washington trails last month great - no roots or rocks at all, and 3) This is going to be a fabulous weekend for hiking the Whites!
The trip up Stony Brook was pretty uneventful. We met a young couple in the parking lot and led the way for a while. Then we decided to let the younger legs carrying day packs pass. The rest of the trail was just a steady climb 'til we reached the Carter-Moriah trail junction and met the white-blaze painter at work. It was Ryan, the caretaker at the Imp Shelter out doing a little trail marking. We told him we were planning on staying with him that night, but we were off to Mt Moriah first. He said to have a good time and we'd see him later.

We just missed a big party on Moriah. A large group was just leaving as we arrived. One member of the group was celebrating the completion of their "48" and one was celebrating their first.

After a brief stop on Moriah and some lunch, we were off to Imp shelter. We arrived in time to have our pick of the platforms. There was only one other platform taken, but they all filled up in a hurry after we had ours. There were a lot of people in the shelter as well.
Ryan suggested we watch the sunset from the viewing area, and several of us did.

This morning, we were up and back on the trail at 8, heading for North Carter. It had been a great night, and the morning was promising another cool, clear day. During the scramble up N Carter we again commented on those Washington trails, smooth, wide enough to walk two abreast, and if there's any hint of steep they have switchbacks. Then we got back to climbing the rocks at hand.

We went over North, Middle, and South Carter without any trouble, and with clear fantastic views every time the trees opened up. Washington and everything else was clear as far as you could see. on the way down S Carter we both heard my bleeping camera phone bleeping that its batteries were dead and there would be no more pictures on this trip.

At Zeta Pass it was decision time. Did we want to continue over Carter Dome or head out to the car at the 19 Mile Brook Trailhead? We decided to go for it. We were still feeling strong and we had plenty of time. The climb up to the dome was great. We decided to bypass Mt Hight because we wouldn't be getting pictures anyway and we were into the rhythm of climbing. After we left the summit of Carter Dome the fun began. Because of sore knees I always have trouble going down steep, rocky slopes, and this one certainly fits that description. I just have to go slow and use the hiking poles. The views into Carter Notch were magificent. Sharon said she had a new favorite place. We made it to the hut a little after three and had one more brief discussion. Wildcat A was right there. Only 0.7 miles and 1100 feet up and down, and we need it for our 48. This time we decided there wasn't enough hike left in our legs, and we wanted to get home at a reasonable hour. Nineteen Mile Brook trail was a pleasant change from the steep ups and downs earlier in the day and a little less than two hours later we were picking up the car.

Numbers 36, 37, 38, 39 for Steve, 35, 36, 37, 38 for Sharon. She'll catch up in a couple of weeks when we do the Northern Presidentials. I'll post pictures online later.