Mosquito Coils...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJD

Reaction score
Anyone use these little green wonders in the backcountry???

I stayed at the Perkins Notch Shelter last Friday and Saturday night and my buddy brought a pack along, boy were they a lifesaver! When we got to the shelter late Friday night there were quite a few little buggers flying around there, within two minutes (literally) of lighting up a coil they were gone. I couldn't believe how effective there were. Each pack comes with 4 or 5 coils and they last 4 hours each. They kept the bugs out for the whole weekend. These are going to be a staple for future shelter trips!

I don't do an overnight w/o them. They weigh next to nothing. I generally break one coil into a few sections and place them around. No bugs!!!!! I hate bugs that think of me as a meal.

I don't carry them myself but have been in shelters along the AT when another hiker brought them in. They seemed to work really well -- I did notice a difference in the number of bugs buzzing in my ears while the coil was burning.

- Ivy

I started taking these backpacking a few years. They help keep the bugs away at night so you don't need to recoat yourself with Deet to enjoy the evening.

The only negative is that I don't think they would work too well out in the open unless there was no breeze at all. If you have protection from the wind they are great.