Mount Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail today (41 down).

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
Not going to lie. That was WAY icier than I was expecting based on a trail report I read from last Sunday. It was a beautiful day and I was extremely happy that I had my Crampons with me because those who were doing the ascent with Microspikes were struggling. The trail is very icy right now and the Kinsman trail, after Cannon, in my opinion, requires more gear - ice climbing spikes and an ice hammer. I turned around as I descended into the valley because I determined that it was A:) too dangerous and B:) going to take me till after nightfall to reach South Kinsman and return to my vehicle at the Tramway parking lot, IF I didn't break something and die on the trail - lol. So, I did the smart thing - not feeling comfortable as I did, and returned over the summit of Cannon and saved South Kinsman for another day. I "could" have taken a longer route around but there was absolutely no guarantee that I wouldn't run into similar conditions on another trail so I didn't do it.20160319_074217.jpg20160319_093825.jpg