Mount Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail (Jan 24)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
I started my hike from the route 302 parking area as the access road (Sawyer River Rd) was closed for the season at 5:30 in the morning. Donning my handy dandy 250 lumen head lamp, I headed out. It was cold (near zero) but that wasn't an issue. I hiked up the road (2 miles) and headed off into the woods at the upper parking lot. The trail was very easy to follow, even in the dark. It was wide enough and packed enough to be easy to follow. The only time it got a little confusing was just prior to the split where Signal Ridge Trail and Carrigain Notch Trail split. Someone had tracked a "shortcut" just prior to that but a quick look at the map and the distance on my Map My Hike app told me quickly that I hadn't reached the split off yet. And, of course, I expected there would be signs. Up to this point, the trail had been really level and easy for the most part. After the split and a few switchbacks later, the trail began to ascent with a little more aggressiveness and by the time I hit about 2 miles or so from the summit the trail was ascending steadily and steeply but was still well packed and easy to follow. As I came out of the woods about a quarter mile or so from the summit, I had a TEMENDOUS view of the Mount Washington, Jefferson and Adam peak with absolutely clear skies - very crisp. Got some great pics. Took more from the firetower on the peak and unlike the hike up, was able to descend very quickly over the hard pack, reaching the Carrigain Notch Trail split in just over an hour. Entire hike took about 7 hours (just over 14 miles), most of that time was the hike up (about 4.5 hours).