Mount Jefferson ... Castle Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytmountains

Reaction score
Saturday March 13th

Eleven of us started up the trail around 8:45 Saturday morning. The wind was angry my friends. I was wondering to myself if this summit was going to happen. If it was this blustery down here what were we in for? We all had read the “high summit” weather forecast earlier in the morning ...

Weather: Light snow shower with blowing snow and freezing fog
Temperature: 1° Visibility: 100 feet
Wind Chill Index: -30°F Relative Humidity: 100%
Wind: Northwest at 60 gusting to 80 MPH Station Pressure: 23.36" and rising
Ground Conditions: 6" of snow and ice

Some of us were joking around saying, “if we get it fine if not we would be back tomorrow,” the better forecasted of the weekend days. We got into the woods and after crossing the river the wind had suddenly diminished to negligible. It was snowing and had snowed that past evening, leaving a few inches of fluff in its wake. It made the woods come alive in winter fashion. The trail had recently been traveled but got less and less apparent as we went forward. A short time after passing the junction of Israel Ridge Path it became difficult to stay in the center of the path that was made possibly a week earlier. The snowshoes went on after a few times of missing this mark. About 6/10 of a mile after the previous jct. the trail became steep and the calves were really starting to scream out. The thought of heel elevators crossed my mind frequently. We were all doing fairly well as we continued up higher. The fir trees were generous in sharing their coats of snow to the first few in line.

Still no wind!!! This may happen after all.
Up to the Link Trail. Not so good memories for me here. My opinion is it's the worst trail that I have ever set my Vibram Soles on! Just glad I'm passing it by. The climbing begins again and the calves start were they left off. Am I out of shape? Am I getting too old for this? Do I have to get out on snowshoes more often, yea, that’s it I don’t use them enough!

The going is hard. Loose snow underfoot frustrating each step. Rock and ice underneath in some parts making going all the tougher. Ah, finally nearing the tree line. Where are the winds they have predicted? Sweet. The winds are blowing but not to the measure that they had predicted. Visibility is certainly going to factor in this scenario, though. We all remove the snowshoes and decide to dress for the upcoming variables. Crampons to be put on for the remainder. There is ice, snow and rock to navigate. One of us has crampon issues. We try to rectify this situation by using some stabilicers that someone has brought along as extra, that a boy Carl. Another isn’t hiking as well as they normally do, seemingly struggling. After some bouldering with a mixed bag of conditions the stabilicers wont stay on. After a short time a decision is made that they cant go on and still be confident in their skills. They have no choice and have to go back down. The other, in question, also decides that she will retreat as well. The coordinator of the trip feels the need for someone else to go along with them just in case one gets hurt going down ... a safety measure, transportation issues and a few other things, I guess. I elected myself. I brought them here and I wanted to make sure they got down especially since one of them was my partner in life, my better half, so to speak. The rest of the story was told to me.

Three down and eight to summit.
Past the Castles the wind was playing another game making travel on the mixed conditions dicey at best. Visibility was cairn to cairn. Plastic boots proved to be worth their weight in gold. Wind at their backs was still tiring to them. Up and up, battling to stay vertical on the pile of rocks. Past the Cornice Trail and on. Estimating and then confirming (GPS) that they were on track and 250' vertical from the summit one of them feeling very exhausted, started to question her reserve for the way down. Being small in stature, getting blown around more than the others was taking its toll on her. She wanted to turn around and head down. More decisions were about to be made. She suggested that she would head down alone and that the others should go for it since they are so close. Another suggested that they came up as eight that they should go down as eight. Others are thinking that might not be too fair, as they are so close to the summit. Bear in mind that no one has summited this peak in the winter and to get it today under these conditions would certainly be bonus. Also bear in mind that these eight hikers are very seasoned winter hikers, above and below tree line, some seasoned more than others in this type of environment that is presently on the table in front of them. The decision is made ... four head down and four continue.
The four heading back down said it was slow going with the wind at their teeth. Slipping, turning ankles and falling happened too often with the occasional face plant and jab your face with your pole trick, often thinking how the rest were doing. Have they reach the summit, are they safe, have they started down. Do they know where they are? We are all friends and close-hiking buddies. The trail is getting harder to stay on course. Not being able to see every cairn can be a little worrisome at times. Lost for a time but, on the way up occasional waypoints were clicked in to the GPS, that a boy Carl. Get us down back to the trail in the trees. Once there the waiting begins. Questioning again, are they OK, did they stay on the trail, where are they? Someone says, “I'm going up to meet them,” while the others advise against it convincing him that it isn’t prudent.
At last, the sounds they were waiting for. One showing up before the other three. Did you summit? How was it? He answers that he wasn’t really certain if they had reached the true summit. As the others came into sight the joking went on, as the first four were ribbing that last group about their failed attempt!! When one assured the rest that they had certainly had made the summit they gathered their gear and headed back down. It was nice to be in the trees again back to the firs that modeled a new suit of snow for them. They could finally hike again and communicate with out yelling and constantly repeating themselves. It felt nice to be sure footed once again.
As they approached their starting point they stopped to watch the sun fall behind to the West and they all had a pretty good feeling within themselves. Now it was time to eat, drink and to be merry amongst their friends.

For the ones that made the summit, congratulations. For the ones that didn’t summit … we will be back another time. Good job and safely done my friends.

That a boy Carl

Last edited:
John, Castle Trail certainly has it's share of challenges. Max and I had similar experience on 10/26/02. Weather became an issue when the falling snow became driving rain and froze on the rocks. We bailed just below the Cornice trail, happy that we had. The good thing: it's always easy to rally the troops for another attempt when the mountain wins. We went back on 5/17, again up via Castle, summitting Jeferson and ended up continuing on to Adams and Madison, decending on the Howker Trail - a fantastic hike that I might have otherwise missed.

October, 2002 Attempt
May, 2003 Success

Winter has it own special challenges. It took me 5 serious tries to bag Jefferson in winter.

I dunno about you guys, although the link is no fun , My least favorite trail in the area is The Cornice around Jefferson from Edmands Col. Next time I consider taking that trail Im going to save myself the time and aggrivation and spend about 15 mins with a ball-peen hammer on my shins..

Thanks for the photos Sherpa ... I still need this one in Winter. I do it frequently in the other Seasons. And yes, The Castle Trail does have its challenges.

coldmountain ... welcome aboard.
Seems like the ball- peen hammer thing could simulate most of the Northerns, they are a tough group of hills.