Mount Moriah (August 4, 2012)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff&Henry

Reaction score
Route: Out and back via Carter Moriah Trail

(Note: This was Henry's first hike back after a broken knee-cap 12 weeks ago -- huge congrats to him for completing this climb.)

-----

Let me start by saying we underestimated Moriah. When I first glanced at its low spot of 41 on the list of 48 (coming in at 4,049 feet), I thought it would be a rather easy hike. What I didn't pay attention to was that the trail head begins at a rather low 800 feet -- so Moriah is a 3,400 foot climb -- not many peaks in the Whites present that sort of climb.

And coupled with the brutal heat, high humidity and lack of a breeze, this was truly a hike that tested our resolve.

-----

Now, with that out of the way, Moriah was a great hike, with a little bit of everything. The first few miles are mostly smooth dirt trails. Only as you approach Mount Surprise do you begin to encounter rock...and soon thereafter LOTS of steep rock ledges, which have great views, but you really earn them. There's also a bunch of new bridges in the muddy areas about 2/3 of way to the summit. There's also a massive boulder seemingly ready to fall along the trail -- but I didn't see any mention of it anywhere -- perhaps because it's surrounded by trees. I couldn't even back up far enough to get it completely into my camera's view.

Moriah really mixes things up -- you plunge back into forest, out onto more ridges and back into forest, before the final slog to a great 360 summit. Note that Henry is making a "4-0" with his hands -- our 40th peak. Note the body language of the other hikers on the summit -- the weather made this more challenging.

The views did not disappoint. Only on the summit did we get a breeze (and a little on the way down as thunderstorms approached).

As we descended back down Moriah (for the 4.5 mile return trip) I did enjoy the ever changing trail -- the miles went by quickly. Some trails just seem endless on the way out...Moriah did not.

Couple other shots from the day:
"Christmas Ornament" Mushroom -- anyone know what this really called?
Following the blue blazes in the mud

Here's a link to the full album: http://jcwheel.smugmug.com/Hikes/MountMoriah

Oh yeah, and this was the first hike that I got a parking ticket. I didn't know about the large parking area across the foot bridge. Oh well, next time. ;-)

Jeff&Henry
(40/48)

Last edited:
I like photo #15 in your smugmug gallery. The little dude is smiling and looking as fresh and happy as can be, while
all the adults look totally wiped out. IMO saturday was the worst weather day this summer.

Congratulations to you both - especially to Henry for coming back after broken knee cap! The weather certainly was hot and humid on Saturday, too.

That mushroom might be one of the Amanita family of mushrooms, but it is hard to tell exactly without seeing the gills or the stalk. If it is an amanita, the one that best fits the photo you took is a variety called Yellow Patches.

I like photo #15 in your smugmug gallery. The little dude is smiling and looking as fresh and happy as can be, while
all the adults look totally wiped out. IMO saturday was the worst weather day this summer.

Billy -- that's because all the adults WERE wiped out -- thank goodness I was behind the camera so I couldn't be seen. ;-)

The weather was dreadful...we were dripping in the first 10 minutes...and there no good water sources, so we had to make do with what we had in our bladders for the whole journey...

Congratulations to you both - especially to Henry for coming back after broken knee cap! The weather certainly was hot and humid on Saturday, too.

That mushroom might be one of the Amanita family of mushrooms, but it is hard to tell exactly without seeing the gills or the stalk. If it is an amanita, the one that best fits the photo you took is a variety called Yellow Patches.

Thanks for the name of the mushroom. Turns out, I had posted on Facebook too, and just had a friend from Oregon who is a naturopathic doctor guess "fly agar", which seems to be in the same family (Fly agaric amanita). I guess these pretty little mushrooms are highly hallucinogenic and he was concerned that Henry or I touched it (which we did not).

Live and learn. ;-)

Route: Out and back via Carter Moriah Trail

Oh yeah, and this was the first hike that I got a parking ticket. I didn't know about the large parking area across the foot bridge. Oh well, next time. ;-)

Jeff&Henry
(40/48)

Congratulations on the hike. It is indeed a beautiful hike. Could you give a few more details on the parking ticket? Did you park in front of the houses? Just where did you leave your car? Up to this point cars have always been permitted across the road from the houses.

Congratulations on the hike. It is indeed a beautiful hike. Could you give a few more details on the parking ticket? Did you park in front of the houses? Just where did you leave your car? Up to this point cars have always been permitted across the road from the houses.

Ha - interesting you ask about that. The short answer: I'm an idiot.

I too was rather confused when I saw it, as I have a WMNF sticker on my truck. In fact, I went so far as to ask two gentlemen who lived there if my car was OK where it was...and they said it was fine.

So why did I get the ticket? Parking in the WRONG direction on the street. As you go into the end of Bangor Street, I parked on the right (near the white fence), which was, I guess, a fine parking space, except that I parked in the same direction as another car which was already there...facing away from the trailhead.

While on the hike, I learned from some other hikers that there's a large lot just across the footbridge...wish I knew that. I don't recall seeing that in my White Mountain Guide...although mine's about 5 years old...might be time to splurge on a new one.

JW

I also have an older edition and it's true the lower parking is not mentioned. However, the book does say to park only on the left side of the road opposite the houses. I suspect that one of the residents may have called the police and they used the direction of your car as the excuse to give the ticket. It would really surprise me if the police come in there and ticket the local residents if their car is parked the wrong way. I'm sorry about your ticket, no one needs that to spoil a great day of hiking. :mad: I am relieved though that they haven't started ticketing cars parked across from the houses.

Last edited:
I also have an older edition and it's true the lower parking is not mentioned. However, the book does say to park only on the left side of the road opposite the houses. I suspect that one of the residents may have called the police and they used the direction of your car as the excuse to give the ticket. It would really surprise me if the police come in there and ticket the local residents if their car is parked the wrong way. I'm sorry about your ticket, no one needs that to spoil a great day of hiking. :mad: I am relieved though that they haven't started ticketing cars parked across from the houses.

Thanks...and honestly, I really don't mind giving 10 bucks to the good people in the Town of Gorham. ;-)