Mount Nancy, NH (NE 100 highest - 13 to go in winter)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espy

Reaction score
What a day!!! With snow squalls and high winds on the drive up, I wasn't sure what I was in for yesterday, but it ended up one of the most gorgeous days I've hiked on in a long time. Nancy Pond Trail was packed for about two miles, after that it was unbroken. Fortunately with the rain the night before, the snow was somewhat compacted but still tough in spots. Ascending the trail parallel to Nancy Cascades proved quite challenging, especially after I veered off from the blazed switchbacks and ended up going practically straight up. The old (well not that old) heart was pumping.:eek: The going was relatively easy from the top of the cascades to west end of Norcross Pond where I began my bushwhack. I wasted a bit of valuable time looking for the so-called herd path and found it, but got off it soon thereafter. Fortunately did not run into too many blowdowns, and managed to hit only one spruce trap. Had a hard time getting up over a couple of small icy/snowy ledges, but once above those, although fairly steep, I made pretty good time. I'd set my turn around time at 2:00. When I got to the high point and checked my watch, it was 1:58.:D Enjoyed the views, then walked around a bit to be sure I didn't miss a higher point, and headed back down. Got to my car at 5:15, no need for my headlamp. My outer ankles got chafed and I walked like a 90 year old after travelling home, but am really happy I took the time and made the effort to finally get out on another winter hike.