Mount Race & Everett - MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekMan

Reaction score
Suffield, CT Avatar: Highland Ctr after Presis
Friday 9/23/05 - We drove to Rte 41 in Sheffield MA and started up Race Brook Falls Trail just before 9:30 a.m. The trail started uphill right away and did not stop for quite a while. Flatter by the campsite area and soon arrived and the junction with the AT. We headed south to summit Mt Race which had some great views to the east and south. After a few pics, we headed back to the junction and went from there to the north to the peak of Mt Everett. Had our lunch there - visibility was maybe 10-12 miles, overcast and/or cloudy most of the day (until we were driving home). This was a Friday and we saw only two other hikers at the top of Everett. It was a great hiking day - I would recommend this hike any day. It was approx. 2500 vertical feet of climbing and 7 miles total. We got back to the car just after 3:00 and headed home - a good day to take off of work!

-TrekMan

One of my favorite areas to hike. I usually go up Everett first and then back to the junction and up Race. Not sure from your post if you did this, but onced you get to the actual summit of Race, if you keep going south for about 10 minutes, you come out onto an exposed ridge that goes on for about 1/2 to 3/4 mile with absolutely the best views to the east, with a sharp drop off to the valley floor. Kind of an "above treeline" little section in CT!

Percious,
Nice pics. I've been all over this area many times. I live in CT so it's so easy to scoot out there on a weekend day, versus the big drive up to NH.

I do particularly like the top of Round Mountain. There's just something about it, has a more wild and "above treeline" feel than it really is. Plus I like the views once you get over Frissel and just before the high point, there's a great open area where you just see mountains and lakes, no roads or any real signs of people. (Mt. Washington Road is obscured by trees when the leaves are on). I usually start my hike at the Undermountain trail and go over Bear on the way to Round and Frissel, to make more of a hike of it than starting from Mt. Washington Road.

While I've been up Race, Bear and Everett and into Sages Ravine many times in winter, I've never gone up Round and Frissel. What are those steep parts like with snow and ice?

Lovetohike said:
Percious,
While I've been up Race, Bear and Everett and into Sages Ravine many times in winter, I've never gone up Round and Frissel. What are those steep parts like with snow and ice?

We did this hike in late winter/early spring. I dont remember any particularly difficult sections of ice between round and frissel. I do remember wearing crampons on the undermountain trail heading up bear, as that was considerably icy.

-percious

Remix said:
Has anyone ever used the "Beeline" trail to Bear?

We tried to find this trail in early spring/late winter with no avail. I have had every intention of heading up there during the warmer months but have not been able to.

What I have done, however is to shoot a straight (as possible) line to Bear mountain. This route dumped us right out at the AMC hut. I believe from the top of Bear it was 320* magnetic. This is a pretty easy bushwhack, a little bit of cripple bush, and some steep sections you have to be careful of. Other than that, its pretty easy. I would err on the nort side, as you will end up at the trail that leads to the AMC hut.

-percious