Mount Wilson in Colorado

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
Did anyone else see the article in a recent issue of Backpacker about this mountain? It said that access to the mountain has been closed off by someone who owns 300 acres of land on it. (It’s a 14er, that’s probably the main reason why it’s an issue.) I’m not familiar with the terrain or property lines, of course, but unless this fellow owns the topmost 300 acres or a 300-acre strip that completely encircles the mountain (and its airspace), how can the mountain be closed to the public? Anyone out there in VFTTLand know the details?

The summit and the trailhead are still open, but the predominant route to the summit passes through the private (closed) lands. There really isn't much of an alternative to the summit other than that route. To my knowledge, it would require very exposed class 4 or 5 climbing through lots of rockfall -- that's a best-case scenario. So for all intents and purposes, the summit is off-limits.
Too bad; it's a beautiful summit. The views of it from Telluride are outstanding.

Culebra, another Colorado 14'er, but in the Sangre de Cristo range, has had difficult access issues for years as well. In the case of Culebra, however, it is entirely on private property.