Mowglis and Oregon via Orange Cove, Mowglis, and Elwell Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubahhh

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 8/11/13

NB: I just realized that I actually walked the Oregon Trail,from Mowglis to Oregon; that's where the met tower is probably eithe relocated or proposed, just to the left of the trail as it approaches the knob about a mile east of Mowglis, where the trail runs just south of an parallel to the ridge. Apologies for any confusion!

Trail Conditions: The Orange Cove Trail is a gravel road continuing where New Colony Road in Canaan kind of dies out. You could drive it in a 4WD vehicle, no sweat. Mowglis, Elwell, and Oregon Trails are very rustic and lightly used, though they've recently been blazed pretty well. There are a few muddy spots and easy blowdowns and a few spots where the blazes are hard to see and the route might not always be obvious. All in all if you just pay a little attention from time to time it's a very pleasant walk in the woods and not especially challenging, either physically or from a not-getting-lost perspective.

Special Equipment Required: none.

Comments: Optional - I wanted to do this walk primarily to scout out the site of the proposed wind farm, and the Oregon Mtn. Trail apparently passes very close to the spot of the planned (already built?) met tower. I didn't have the coordinates, but did know that it was on or near the trail as it starts to climb out of the little sag east of Mowglis. I poked around a little but didn't see anything that looked like construction, or even like any trucks had been on the logging roads. Maybe I looked in the wrong spots. I doubt this will dissuade the power barons, but it wasn't at all windy!

It turned out to be a beautiful 4 hour walk on a secluded trail, with plenty of interesting flora and a big, smelly, berry-eating fauna right on top of Mowglis that I damn near tripped over and nearly scared the berries right out of me, too... And some great views of Cardigan and points south and east. I wholeheartedly recommend it... And you might want to go soon, just in case "they" decide to pave paradise and put up a parking lot... again.

Your name: Scubahhh

Your E-mail address:

-------------------------

Last edited: