Mt. Abraham (ME) trail AKA Fire Warden's Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowandsteady

Reaction score
Medfield, MA & Jackson, NH Avatar: Wildcat!
We hiked this on 8/22. The latest edition of AMC Maine Mountain Guide could use some updating/enhancement.

Signage does not indicate "Fire Warden's Trail"; instead it is called "Mount Abraham Trail". Trail is now 0.5 miles shorter than stated in the book due to logging.

West Kingfield Road becomes Rapid River Road at a crossroads just after the pavement ends. Go straight ahead and follow the river. Trailhead sign is 3.3 miles after pavement ends.

The guide book mentions turning left at a fork and over a new bridge (I don't have book with me at present for mileage - maybe 2.6 or 2.7 miles). A better description would be turn left at this fork and go over a newish bridge and almost immediately over another bridge and then right at the next branch - the road on the right is the older and narrower of the two but the correct one. The other (wrong way) is called southwest corner or something like that. After the last right the trailhead is straight ahead on a rocky but drivable road at the next tee intersection, about 0.2 mile from fork. We parked the car just over a bridge to the right in a clearing, about 50 yds.

Once on the trail there is a logging road crossing after about 1.25-1.5 miles not mentioned in the guide.

The Fire Warden's Cabin is open but full of trash - trail is very muddy until the cabin at 2.8 miles. After the cabin the trail is very steep but in good condition.

Views from the rock slides and the summit are amazing. The summit is worth leaving time to explore/hang out.

I'm looking to take this trail up Abraham later this month. Does anyone have any updates on the condition of the road or anything else that I should know. I drive a sedan and tore up the front plastic underbelly on the Caribou Pond Road on the way to Reddington on Monday. I'm just wondering if I should replace the bumper before or after making it out to Abraham on this road. :)

Am I correct in understanding that it is 3.5 miles to the top of Abraham from the trailhead?