Mt. Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
My friend and her family were going up Chocorua and invited us. I hadn't ever done that mountain and would have an opportunity to hike with my best friend so said sure.

We took the Liberty Trail up. It was muddy in spots because of all the rain we have had. The water crossing was fine. The bugs were a bit annoying but could have been far worse. (lots of black flies still)

This trail was a nice trail starting off not bad at all then climbing. I was more than a little concerned for the rock top because of a more than slight fear of heights (cliffs with just a little space between me and the edge) but my friends said it was fine. That was their opinion....As my son and I were eating our sandwich, waiting for the others to catch up on the first cliff, some people were heading down. I asked how the summit was. That was a mistake. They said they didn't even make it because it was so steep and they were trying to hold the rocks and were afraid for their dog the cliffs were so bad. That did not help my fear and imagination. I have a 6 year old and thoughts of him falling and being impaled by a pine tree were flashing through my mind. I decided we were at "our top" and would go down once the rest of our group arrived. My son started to cry but I was trying to explain my reasoning. My friends offered to take him without me but if I wasn't going, neither was he. He was, after all, my responsibility. After a little bit, my friend convinced me to just keep going a little more. I'm glad she did because it really wasn't bad after that as far as a cliff with a tiny space for my feet. (haha) So up we went. It was overcast at the top but we could still see some views. Can't imagine how hot it would have been if the sun were in full force. It was a very hot one. We stayed and relaxed until the bugs and time were telling us it was time. We headed down without any problems. What a great day to be out and climbing. Glad we went.

Last edited by a moderator: