Mt. Garfield 4/3/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
It had been exactly two years and four days, since my first hike to Mt. Garfield. At that time, with much deeper snow, I had seen ski tracks, flirting with the woods on the trail, and thought to myself... self, you too could do this! The time finally came, and I returned to Garfield, armed with a backcountry ski setup, and grit. They stayed on my back for the roadwalk (which was packed snow in the morning, and had melted out in several spots by the afternoon), and until just past the second crossing on Garfield Trail, as cover was thin to non-existent. There's still plenty of snow up high, and the trail was drifted in a bit on the last couple switchbacks. Garfield Ridge Trail to the summit was packed out and steep, no ice to speak of. The summit was bare, with a little rime here and there, and was windy and cold. The views were fantastic. Descent was quick, and somewhat terrifying at times.

The bottom line is this: +1, would do again.

Here's the full report.

Cheers!