Mt. Garfield, Garfield trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gforce

Reaction score
Got to trail head at 9:18 to partially sunny sky. Temps in upper 20's. Stream crossings in first part of Garfield trail were only mildly challenging, poles were very helpful as the rocks were quite slippery. Trail was covered in 1-4" of snow for most of the way, with some minimally icy rocks further up. I brought stabilicers but didn't use them. We passed one other party using stabilicers and carring shoes. In the upper third of the trail there were a few substantial blowdowns but nothing too bad to go around or over. Summited after 3 hours to mostly cloudy and windy conditions. Basically full winter condtions on top so we all donned our hard shells etc. Views limited but still majestic, we could see some more ominous clouds heading our way so we got below tree line for a quick lunch. No serious weather materialized but we did experience a few minor snow bursts. After that we made a speedy descent and were back at the trailhead well before twilight. Trip made by myself and friends BM and JW. This is my first post on VFFT after hvaing gleaned much knowledge here (Thanks!) as a lurker.

gforce

Cool... welcome to VfTT!

I came within like a 1/4 mile of the summit ( I should of ran up and tagged it) but I was afraid of missing Tuco when we hiked up the Garfield trail. Tuco's knee was acting up the whole trip so I waited for like a 1/2 hour at the junction of the Garfield trail and the AT towards the Garfield Ridge campsites... I think the summit was supposedly very close by too..

Jay

Nice trip! Welcome to VFTT :)

I did the very same hike on October 1st. It was frightfully windy, especially in the little rock gap 5 feet east of the summit. I estimated winds in the gap to be 70-100 mph (probably around 80 but I can't be sure, they were definately above 70, I was not able to stand up without bracing myself). Most of the ambient winds near the gap were 50-70. It was quite amazing, a shame the views were nil that day.

Video of the scary winds: http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Garfield061001/P1010011.MOV