Mt Greylock Overnighter: Snowtastic!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yam

Reaction score
Setting: Mt Greylock
Cast of characters: ENS, pennsy, pedxing, yam, lthiker, ox, phantom soul, uphill climber & klutz

Chapter One (Saturday) 13.5 miles
We started our hike at the Dalton trailhead location around 9:00 am. The hope was to make it to the Mark Noepel Lean-to before the pouring rain would hit (supposedly in the late afternoon). The first part of the hike had minimal elevation gain, it meandered through the hills and was relaxing. It started getting chillier as we approached Cheshire with the mist picking up to a light sprinkle, so we decided to hit the local Pizza place (Christina’s) on our way through town to warm up and eat some warm food. After a quick bite, we jumped back on the trail….here’s where there was the elevation gain, and after eating our greasy pizza, a few of us got sluggish. But we made it to the Lean to, although at this time it was getting very very windy and downright cold. We were happy to see there was noone outside of our group to share the lean to with, so we went about putting a tarp over the front opening and hunkering down for the night. Man, that wind got crazy during the night and the rain POURED. But we stayed nice and toasty dry. Some of us entertained the others w/ singing wonderful songs from the 80’s. :D

Chapter Two (Sunday) 9.5 miles
We awoke to the glorious view of snow! It was still lightly coming down, and it made everything so beautiful. We packed up our backpacks and got on the trail around 9:00 (approx), but the trail was now slippery as fresh dog doo, so the hiking was a bit slower. We made it to Greylock by 11:30, (no views), had our lunch, and said good bye to uphill climber and klutz (their car was parked there). Hiking down Greylock was crazy! There is a really steep section that takes us to the Pattison Road parking area (where our cars were) and I fell 3 times on the slick leaves, I have to remember to bring insteps all the time, not just when snow is “possible.” We all had a bite to eat at a restaurant and parted ways (blah blah blah).

Moral of the story:
What a great trip! I need to go back when I actually have views from the tower. The snow was such a treat, though. So beautiful.

yams pics (web shots won’t let me caption them right now)

Last edited:
Excellent! Greylock is a beautiful area; although you certainly got to see a lot of that (I'm looking at your pictures now) you'll have to go back when better weather is in store to see off the summit.

Singing 80's tunes? I'm almost jealous! :cool:

Excellent trip report Yam, and your pics came out great, especially the misty lake cottage scene. I knew that would make a great pic. Put some lighting in the cottage and you could almost call it a Kinkade.

Despite the weather and lack of views, this was a fun fun trip, and Yam did a great job of organizing it, with help from Earthnsky. The Mark Noepel Lean-to aka the Greylock Hilton was a godsend as it would not have been a real fun night tenting and tarping in that weather. I'm already looking forward to the "Greylock Hike With Views but without the 80's Songs from the Mez" trip. :)

"klutz?" heh heh, someone is gonna get you for that one, Yammy. :D

snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! snow! thx for the trip report and pics of snow!

What a fun time we had! Even though uphillklimber and I didn't do the whole hike with the rest, just getting together with the old gang and meeting new ones is always a blast! The snow wasn't expected, but I thought it just added to the experience, it soo pretty. :) I bet there's some really great views from that area, when you can see through the fog. :D I'd like to go back and maybe do the whole trip next time.

hey klutz (you are definately more of a skeetah bait--heehee) let me know if you'll be able to join us at the great lost bear next week!!

alpinista...it was magical. :)

hey michaelj! we would have taken requests from a different era, too. :D

thanks for the comments, guys!

awesome Trip report Yam! Your pics are really great too. I'll add some thoughts and pics later.

It was a great trip, inspite of the rain on Saturday. It's always fun hiking with the crew!

Pennsy, thanks for driving. I owe you bigtime!

Kudos to Yam and ENS for putting together a great trip. And thanks to Yam and Pennsy for the fine photos. I've never had an 80's soundtrack for a backpacking trip before (btw Michael: Yam lied about taking requests).

The trip down didn't seem so steep to me, but the combination of snow, slush, rain and wet leaves made the descent a little more dicey than I would have thought. One seemingly well anchored stone skidded out from under me one the descent - thank goodness for poles providing two extra points of contact with the ground.

Reactions: yam
Oh, the 80's would have been fine with me - I've been known to sing quite the selection on the trails! I wasn't being sarcastic ... I was serious!
:)

Yeah, I know Yam, but the day I signed on here I was having Kluty issues around the house, so I decided to use that one, but you are right I am more of a Skeetah bait(magnet). :D As far as the meeting at the bar, I don't think I can make that night, but like I said after I finish my class in a few weeks, I may be able to come up like we talked. I'll contact you when it gets closer for more details.

BTW, you 80's people were scaring me.... :eek: Too early for Halloween....JK....that's okay TTer's have been known to sing a few tunes from things like Gilligan's Island and such.... ;) huh, Pennsy.... :D

mt greylock

awesome pics~ of the pond and snow covered trees and shed~very nice.

here are my pics! http://community.webshots.com/album/486244856MKuQVz/0

I don't have anything to add to Yam's trip report, except that I had a total blast. Camping at the leanto Saturday night was one of my favorite camping nights ever. Yam is starting a band with me. We're going to be an 70s-80s-90s cover band.

I really want to do this hike again when the weather is clear. I hear the views on Greylock are really nice.

I just did part of your hike two weeks ago. The Cheshire section of the AT up Saddle Ball Mtn. to the shelter is some work. It was slicker than a wet worm too with the newly fallen leaves and recent rain.
I would love to do what you guys did sometime.
Take care, Eric