Mt. Greylock / sperry campground info wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
Hi all. We plan on going car camping over the upcoming long weekend and doing a few dayhikes with the new pup to see how she does. We were looking for someplace quiet and woodsy, and having never been to Mt Greylock, thought we might give the Sperry Road Campground a try. Can anyone give me any info on what the sites are like? Also, any info on favorite 4 - 8 mile hikes would appreciated. Thanks!

I only know Sperry Campground from having hiked up Mount Greylock and passing through the Campground as we hiked up . . . it looked like a large place with level sites and very clen and well kept. That was in 1999. I am sure there will be others who have better and more recent info. You could hike up to Greylock from there.

sli74

The sites are low-density, wooded with picnic tables(?) and fireplaces. Each site has a parking spot just off the road and you have to walk in about 50 feet to camp. I don't think there is any water except for the brook near the ranger's station. There are a few decent outhouses also. Fortunately, the auto road opens on 5/14 so you can drive to Sperry Rd.

A good hike would be to follow the Hopper trail to the Mt. Greylock summit, continue on the AT north to the Money Brook trail and follow that downhill to a cutoff trail (left at the bridge) that leads you back to the Hopper trail and back uphill to the campground.

You could call the park headquarters for more info. Greylock

Last edited:
I have a paper map/info on the campground that I got at the visitor's center (base of the southern access road), but it in fact is exactly what you get if you follow the campground link from the Greylock link in jfb's post.