Mt. Greylock via Old Adams Rd, Cheshire Harbor & AT - 8/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Dry, significantly drier than my June trip. No downed trees. Th brook near the top of Cheshire Harbor under the bridge was just a trickle.

Special Equipment Required: Started at 4:20 PM so a headlamp was a good thing to carry. A couple of spots had enough mosquitoes to think about applying bug spray but opted not to stop. Poles helpful for quickly come down a pretty rocky trail before dark.

Comments: Optional - Still not in good shape but I was pretty happy to get up top in just over 90 minutes. Made it down in just over an hour. Plenty of activity even at 6:00 at the top with some people coming up from Sperry Campground which is part way up the mountain. Even so, had one couple with 1/2 a mile to go uphill at 6:25 thinking it was more than thought & likely to be even harder in the dark.

Started with a family with no map going up for their first time at 4:20. While I had no map either, this was my 11th time up this trail, 2nd since Memorial Day & 16th time overall. With darkness a possibility & no lights, after an hour, the Dad, went back so he could drive up the road and make it a one way hike for Mother & daughter. Saw the women up top for a little bit. No idea when they close the road, they do close it at some point at night, don't they?

Mike P.
[email protected]