Mt. Greylock via the AT (7-17-09)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Met Topofgothics (who is thru-hiking the AT... his journal is at http://www.trailjournals.com/topofgothics) at the Outlook Ave (in Chesire) AT crossing. It was a humid day but not too bad for hiking. The early start on little sleep led me to hike with a cup of coffee for the first 500 feet of elevation gain:D! Trails were mostly in good shape (with some mud holes along the way) but the mosquitos were really bad and quite relentless. Stopped for a break at the fist real viewpoint and saw a snake curled up in a tree about 2 feet off the ground. He didn't mind us sharing his space at all! I was surprised at the number of people on the summit for a Friday and that Bascom Lodge is still in a state of disrepair. They are open for lodging only on the weekends and have a pretty lame snack bar open on weekdays. But the view was as beautiful as always! We had a nice lunch on the summit and then continued down the other side. The trail on the south side was much drier. We saw quite a few thru-hikers along the way (even a group I met when I hiked a section in Virginia earlier this year!) who were enjoying Massachusetts. We came off at Mass Ave in North Adams moments before a thunderstorm rolled in. Saturday and Sunday we did trail magic for thru-hikers along the trail which was a blast!!

P.S. Who's the VFTT'r with NH plates who was parked at the County Road trailhead? We parked next to you to do trail magic on Sunday:).