Mt Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
Planning on taking some kids up to Mt Greylock for 3days..getting up to Mass on a Friday night about 7pm, camping ??? somewhere not to far in. Saturday we plan on hiking to Greylock and spending Sat night in a lean to/ tent site.
I'm not familiar with the area and thought someone may have a suggestion for a loop or maybe Point A to B with a car spot. The kids are high school age and have some backpacking experience.
Thanks .
Kmac

Loop:
Park on Roaring Brook Rd. Take the Stony Ledge trail up to Stony Ledge and then follow Sperry Rd down to the Hopper Trail.
From there you can head north and hit Mt. Prospect and then get on the AT and follow it south over Williams, Fitch, and Greylock.
Following the Hopper Trail from there will bring you back to Sperry Rd and you can then retrace your route back to Roaring Brook Rd.

It's without question the best loop you can do there. I haven't done it in years, but I remember it being 13 or 14 miles total.

If you'd rather do a car spot, just follow the AT. There are a few places you could start in the south and you can spot a car in the north near the Mt. Williams Reservoir.

There are campsites off of Sperry Rd and a few leantos off the AT.

As an aside, the new (2009) AMC Massachusetts Guide has a nice Greylock map with trail segment distances, etc. A nice improvement over the previous edition.

Peck's Brook Lean to, off the Gould Trail, isn't a bad hike in. The trail head is off West Mt. Road in Adams. It's only a couple miles in, and the approach to the summit from there is easy. The Sperry campsite is also approachable from the Hopper Trail, but no matter which way you go, it's a haul with backpacks.

Be advised, the road is closed, and probably will not be opened until Memorial Dayish. There was a crew from the Worcester area clearing trails up there this past weekend, but there's a lot of work to do up there, especially to the south of the summit. In any event, have a great time!

I believe it's too early to use their primitive campsites, but the shelters are open. One on Stoney Ledge, Roaring Brook to Stoney Ledge ski trail.
Another is the Tuckerman Ravine shelter at the top.

The one on Deer Hill is quite a ways in and the whole trail still as of Friday had tons of downed trees. I'd stay clear.

The one off Bellows Pipe might also be good.

Probably the easiest spot to camp Friday night would be the designated campsite along the Money Brook trail about 1/2 mile from the trailhead. From there, you could follow the Hopper trail up and over Mts. Greylock, Fitch and Williams to the Wilbur campsite for Saturday night. Follow the Money Brook trail back to the trailhead on Sunday.

It's without question the best loop you can do there. I haven't done it in years, but I remember it being 13 or 14 miles total.

Another good loop I've done is to park at the Gould Road lot, follow the Bellows Pipe extension to the Thunderbolt trail, follow it to the top, then go down the Hopper trail to the Money brook cutoff, up the Money Brook trail to the AT, follow the AT to the Gould trail and back down to Gould Road.