Mt. Hayes - Mahoosuc Trail to AT Intersection - 7/13/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenPeaks

Reaction score
The road to get to the trailhead has some large puddles and lots of ruts. I made the 4.5 miles at a slow pace in my 4 wheel drive SUV. A car could probably get through most of it, but a couple spots might be tricky.

Trailhead to Cliff: The first half of the trial is in good shape. A few muddy spots and easy brook crossings. The second mile of the trail is a lot more muddy and wet. Part of the trail in the steep rocky area is a running stream. Overall the bugs weren't too bad, but I had to use some spray a couple of times.

Cliff to AT: The views from the cliff are spectacular. Definitely worth the muddy feet to get there. The trail from the cliff to the AT intersection is in mostly good condition. A few big puddles here and there, plus some mud. Saw a bear print in one of the muddy spots plus lots of moose droppings.

Mt. Hayes is a great, quick hike to some awesome views. The day I went had hardly any clouds so I got the full effect! Decided to do some redlining and hiked to the AT crossing. There's some ledges near the AT that offer a nice view north towards Mt. Cabot and the Kilkenny range. I'd like to do this hike again sometime on a dryer day.

TenPeaks