Mt. Hedgehog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
UNH trail counter-clockwise. Had breakfast on Allens ledge, then enjoyed the warm day across the loop. Not too many people and those that were out were nice to chat with. Met some names from netrailconditions and they enjoyed meeting my dog Shay. Little snow and hardly any ice. Nice hike, me and my dog came in at 3.25 car to car with plenty of breaks and talking along the way.

Hedgehog is a great little mountain. I personally prefer Potash because I think the views are more expansive. But, there is that crossing of Downes Brook to contend with and on occasion I have done Hedgehog when the brook was not safe to cross. I know about the forest road (did it one winter...ugh) but prefer not to have to do the highway walk or park the car at the gate.

Hedgehog is a great little mountain. I personally prefer Potash because I think the views are more expansive. But, there is that crossing of Downes Brook to contend with and on occasion I have done Hedgehog when the brook was not safe to cross. I know about the forest road (did it one winter...ugh) but prefer not to have to do the highway walk or park the car at the gate.
I love Potash as well, we did it last week. Potash is quieter and you are right, the summit is really cool. You can see some cool peaks from up there. I used the forest road once in early winter, the icy river had death written all over it. I do not cross sketchy rivers in the winter.